• Register Today It's free!

How to remove door panels

shorty423

Reaction score
City, State
Greeneville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to remove the front and rear door panels on my 1993 explorer eddie bauer. Almost all of the speakers and window motors are bad, I can't figure out how to remove the door panels without breaking things. So what I really need are pictures or a video or just great step by step instructions. If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know why on occasion the radio resets while your driving down the road? I'm thinking a short maybe? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Remove two screws above interior door handle.
2. Remove plastic piece around interior door handle.
3. Remove the switch panel by inserting a small screwdriver into the insert (top or bottom) and prying it upwards. You can then disconnect the wiring
4. Place a screwdriver between the doorpanel and the door (or one of those fancy special devices made for the purpose of removing the fasteners). Now the trick here is to find the fasteners, you can do this by moving your screwdriver up/down until it stops, and then use leverage to pry the panel away from the door.
5. Repeat 4. until all fasteners are loose and remove panel. Be careful to see if any connections might remain.

Reinstall: Remove any fasteners that remained in the door and put them on the interior panel, place the panel and push in each of the fasteners.

It's not difficult at all, just use common sense :)

Thanks, That's basically what I had figured but It's been about 7 years since I have messed with a Ford door panel and it was on a 1993 Ford Thunderbird, That was easy But this explorer is so nice I was just afraid to dig into it without knowing EXACTLY what I am doing. But thanks for the instructions.

Okay, So I removed the drivers side front door panel and took out the factory speaker which would not work at all. I hooked up another speaker I had laying around and still nothing? It sounds like it's gonna work when I first connect it but no sound. The only possible thing I can think of is bad wiring somewhere between there and the radio. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Okay, So I removed the drivers side front door panel and took out the factory speaker which would not work at all. I hooked up another speaker I had laying around and still nothing? It sounds like it's gonna work when I first connect it but no sound. The only possible thing I can think of is bad wiring somewhere between there and the radio. Any thoughts or suggestions?!?!?!?!?!?

Back