How to remove plastic cowling from 2013 explorer for rear O2 connector access. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove plastic cowling from 2013 explorer for rear O2 connector access.

gmcward

Reaction score
City, State
Millers, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Base AWD
Long story short, I need to replace O2 sensor from rear cylinder bank and the wire connector is located between the engine and firewall. I can barely touch the connector from underneath the car. I can touch it when reaching around the engine, but need two hands to jiggle the connector loose. This is not physically possible as I apparently don't have enough joints in my fat arms to get them both back there at the same time while lying on top of the engine bay.

It looked like removing the plastic fresh air cowling under the windshield and wipers will give me easy access to get to this pesky connector. So I removed the plastic screw quick connectors along the front of the cowling, and tried to pull it out. However I can't seem to figure out how to get the backside( against the windshield) loose/ disconnected off. I don't see any other connectors back there to remove. I can open the two cowl pieces ( clamshell like), but don't see anything inside to remove . Maybe I'm missing it.

Any insight / guidance anyone could provide on how to remove this would be greatly appreciated. Or if you have any ideas how to get the O2 connector apart with out removing it, that would help too.

I did break the O2 sensor itself loose through the passenger side wheel well, so I'm ready to go there.

Thanks
Guy

Disregard the above question as I was able to get to the O2 sensor connector through the passengers side wheel well. Or more correctly my long skinny armed teenage son was able to get to it.
No need to fully remove the cowling now, so it's now installed and everything is back together.
Thanks for reading.

Guy

Back