How to remove the Chrome Strip

Mr_Wiggles

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012
Hello All,

I am trying to find the thread on how to remove the Chrome Strip at the back of my 2013 Explorer.

My plan is to have it coated (Black)

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if the camera is part of the strip or not. Unfortunately I can't check since I no longer have my Ex. Another member had to replace that strip and when the dealer did that, a new camera was also installed. Not sure which model you have since you haven't added it to your profile so it shows in the margin.

Peter

Not sure if the camera is part of the strip or not. Unfortunately I can't check since I no longer have my Ex. Another member had to replace that strip and when the dealer did that, a new camera was also installed. Not sure which model you have since you haven't added it to your profile so it shows in the margin.

Peter

Good point. Thats actually the reason I took mine off, was to add a backup camera, and the place I put mine im guessing is where the OEM one goes.

Hello All,

I am trying to find the thread on how to remove the Chrome Strip at the back of my 2013 Explorer.

My plan is to have it coated (Black)

Thanks in advance

Wiggles,

I posted a process here under #10

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409991

You can access the chrome strip (aka License Lamp Shield) from both the outside and the inside. Inside involves having to remove the interior panels--which not people are fond of doing. Outside, the only issue to really worry about is scratching your paint. But that can be easily remedied by covering the chrome strip in painter's tape or other material as it is being removed section by section.

Good luck!

Dang my memory is bad. Shadow is right. All the mounting hardware is on the outside. And I just removed mine last week. Short memory.

Dang my memory is bad. Shadow is right. All the mounting hardware is on the outside. And I just removed mine last week. Short memory.

It happens to the best of us. Ever spend 10 minutes looking for something :dunno: only to discover it was in your pocket all along? :biggthump <~GUILTY! LOL

Back