How to remove the stainless steel band that holds the half shaft boot on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove the stainless steel band that holds the half shaft boot on?

BigE

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I have a faint squeak (can only hear it with the radio off and when slowing to a stop) that I think is coming from the left half shaft. How do I get the stainless steel band off that holds the rubber boot (the larger one closest to the wheel) so I can check to see what is causing the squeak?

2000 Sport 4x4 automatic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you get into that, check your front driveshaft/u-joints - classic for low-pitched squeaks.

use a flathead screwdriver and pry it apart at the pinch, this should give you enough slack to remove it. To install just re-pinch it with some pliers

Or you can cut it and use either a good zip tie or a hose clamp to replace it

Thanks for the information -
I am pretty sure its coming from something closer to the wheel and not the front drive shaft. If I jack the front wheels up and turn the left front wheel I can here the squeak at the same point in the wheel rotation each time it spins. I'm not 100% sure, but it sure sounds like the squeak is coming from the short shaft from the end closest to the wheel - from something inside the boot. Is it possible to put some oil on the joints, if I remove the boot? e.g. to see if that will quiet the squeak. Assume there is nothing I can otherwise lubricate?

they sell brease kits with a syringe to inject grease into a boot without removing it, they are fairly cheap and leave such a small hole that it basically seals itself up when you remove the needle

Jimabena74,
Would injecting the grease into the boot get it to the parts that need lubricating, e.g. the boot seems very large and I would assume the grease would just stick to the inside of the boot vs. the moving parts of the half shaft?

Back