How to replace coolant fluid in 2004 Explorer V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace coolant fluid in 2004 Explorer V8

Nivan

Reaction score
City, State
Moscow
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Ford Explorer 4.6
Hi All!

How can I replace all coolant fluid from coolant system in my FE 2004 with 7 seats?
I knew about the plug at the bottom of radiator, but it'll drain not all fluid - something fluid will stay in engine or somewhere else.

What should I do to drain all antifreeze?

I whant to replace it because I don't know what is the type of liquid is in my coolant system now (it crimson color).

Thank you for help! =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might check with a shop. if you want a true flush, they'll hook it up to a machine that will completely do it.
Make sure they have a machine though and aren't simply using a hose.

When flushing yourself, you end up with water in the engine. The question is, how much water?

So if you want a 50/50 mix, you are going to have to guess on how much water is already in the system and how much antifreeze you need to add.

Also, seeing as how mixing coolants can ruin an engine, you want to make sure all of the previous anti freeze is completely out. Including the heater core.

I'll drain it put water and run it to engine temp, drain it again and put water run the engine. Do this until you get clear water, put in 9 qts of 100% coolant and the rest of it is water (distilled preferably) Coolant capacity is 18.3 qts.

you don't need to complete this in a day, you can do this 2x in day then the next day until you get clear water.

some put some rust cleaning solvent while doing this coolant replacement method.

Back