How To: Replace instrument cluster bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replace instrument cluster bulbs

asull85

The Storm Chaser
Reaction score
City, State
Agawam, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Callsign
WX4FUN
At some point, the bulbs in your instrument cluster will eventually burn out. Don't panic! Removing the instrument cluster is surprisingly easy and takes less than 10 minutes.

What you'll need:
  • Ratchet
  • Extension
  • 9/32" socket
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • New bulbs
  • A beverage

(dead links)

Before you begin, disconnect your battery. You'll be removing your instrument cluster and you don't want to fry it in the process.

Step 1:
Remove lower instrument panel cover. There are two screws holding it in place. I believe they are 9/32" cap screws. I don't have any photos of them as I removed them and never put them back in.

Step 2:
Remove upper instrument panel cover. There are two 9/32" cap screws holding this in place. After removing the screws, gently lift up on the panel until it pops free. There are three tabs at the top securing it to the dash. You may need to lower your steering wheel to remove the panel.

Step 3:
Remove the four 9/32" cap screws securing the instrument cluster to the dash. Pull the cluster toward you and rest it on the steering column. Very gently unplug the cluster from the harness. You may need to use a flathead screwdriver to assist you.

Step 4:
Once the cluster is removed from your Ex, bring it inside or wherever you feel like removing the bulbs. There are 7 bulbs that can be replaced. I replaced all of them with green LED's. Make sure if you use LED's that they are green. If you try to change the color, they won't light the panel properly. Use a flathead screwdriver to turn the bulbs about 1/8 of a turn to remove them. Once they were out, I had to add some solder to the contacts on the circuit board to make the connection with the LED bulbs.

Turn signals

Speedometer

Tachometer and Cruise Control

Fuel Gauge

Temperature Gauge

Step 5:
Plug the instrument cluster back in. Reconnect the battery and test the lights. If everything lights up, great! If not, try turning the bulbs 180 degrees. That should get them to light up. After testing the lights reinstall everything.

Step 6:
Enjoy your beverage

Thanks!

What brand of bulbs did you use?

Back