how to replace motor in pwr seat 2002 Mountaneer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to replace motor in pwr seat 2002 Mountaneer

Daga

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
I'm looking to see if anyone has replace the pwr seat motor in a 2002 mercury mountaineer any help would be greatly appreciated:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking to see if anyone has replace the pwr seat motor in a 2002 mercury mountaineer any help would be greatly appreciated:salute:

I'm no help but curious. I have been on this site forever, and following known problems on these Ex's forever, and have never heard of this problem.

Are you sure it's the motor?

I'm pretty sure the motor moves very slow and Im afraid its going to get stuck in a position that I wont be able to move the seat as my wife is only 5' tall and I'm over 6' tall hence the problem that I would have if my wife was the last one to drive the truck when it stops working. would like to replace it before it breaks.

Subscribing...................................:popcorn:

I'm pretty sure the motor moves very slow and Im afraid its going to get stuck in a position that I wont be able to move the seat as my wife is only 5' tall and I'm over 6' tall hence the problem that I would have if my wife was the last one to drive the truck when it stops working. would like to replace it before it breaks.

hahaha

Okay, I understand, as my wife runs the seat up into the windshield to the point where I have to adjust the seat before I can climb into it. I do agree that mine is slow as well, but unless it happened so gradually that I didn't notice it, I'm pretty sure it's always been slow, slower than my 97 Ex, my Corvette, the Mustang, or the Volvo.

However, if it is not the motor, you're buying into a lot of work for nothing.

Have you considered lubricating the seat slides?

This reminds me I need to program the automatic seats on my Limited with the two key fobs so that I don't have to adjust it manually every time. If I do it, the seat will be adjusted before I get to the truck door.

hahaha

Okay, I understand, as my wife runs the seat up into the windshield to the point where I have to adjust the seat before I can climb into it. I do agree that mine is slow as well, but unless it happened so gradually that I didn't notice it, I'm pretty sure it's always been slow, slower than my 97 Ex, my Corvette, the Mustang, or the Volvo.

However, if it is not the motor, you're buying into a lot of work for nothing.

Have you considered lubricating the seat slides?

This reminds me I need to program the automatic seats on my Limited with the two key fobs so that I don't have to adjust it manually every time. If I do it, the seat will be adjusted before I get to the truck door.

I will try that and see where I end up I agree that it would be a lot of work for nothing if its not the problem. Thank you for your input I will let you know how I make out.:thumbsup:

I will try that and see where I end up I agree that it would be a lot of work for nothing if its not the problem. Thank you for your input I will let you know how I make out.:thumbsup:

Please keep us informed. Very interested.

BTW, I did have to work on my Volvo's power seats (a Lear unit) and it was an incredibly painful exercise, and I do Explorer press in ball joints and wheel bearings, Volvo exhaust manifold gaskets, etc. etc.

Actually mine stuck in the front motor, lowest position. So i checked around only thing you can really buy new for mucho bucks $$$$ is the whole seat track unit, JY units came with seats and where still pricey.

So i checked it out, removed the 4 bolts holding the seat, tilted it up against the dash and tried to work the shafts with a wrench. I was able to spin the stuck one and vola it work there after.

I'd grease it up and see how that works and cross your fingers.

Hey guy's well I tried to just lube up the track and see if it helped but it didn't seem to get any better so only time will tell I guess. One can also hope that it fails in the way back position so I can still drive it thanks for the help

Back