How to replace the front wheel bearings on a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace the front wheel bearings on a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT.

TexasFord03

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
ok heres my problem:

On the front left..there is a wheel bearing hub assembly with speed sensor. Can the bearings inside the hub be replaced, if so, how do you get them out. Or do you have to replace the entire hub assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You replace the entire hub, speed sensor and all.

after replaceing hub unit the abs light came on and stays on how to turn it off

Can someone please tell me Why???

Background: I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT, December of 2010 I replaced the Right front hub assembly and Left Rear Wheel bearings. Christmas 2011, I replaced the Right rear wheel bearing.

Friday I was told that my right front wheel bearing has **** the bed again and needs to be replaced. Umm, I just did that a year an a half ago, bearing only has a little over 30,000 miles on it. Why is my explorer ****ting through wheel bearings??? I am NOT rough on this vehicle at all, not even bumping curbs and I avoid all bumps possible in the road (I do live in new england so its not always possible). I feel like when I get them replaced they are not doing it correctly or screwing me over because I am a woman.

How long should a bearing be lasting me? Are certain bearings better than others to put on? Someone mentioned a timkin bearing has a life time warrenty on it so if I spend the money once I won't have to again. I just feel like this car is eating bearings like cherrio's

I put in a bearing from NAPA lasted about as long as yours, put in a timkin and about 110k later still works great.

Same thing with me. I put in the cheap one and replaced it after a short while. Put in a Timken and it's good to go. Knock on wood! :hammer:

The wheel bearings sold at Autozone is Timkin and it comes with a life time warranty. The only downside is that it doesn't come with new bolts (like the ones from the dealer). I did my front bearings last summer and so far no problems!

Seems like there should be or should have been a safety recall on these bearings. Does anyone know if Ford issues maintenance bulletins on these bearings? I need to replace my bearings also.

SKF is the best bearing you can get for your Explorer. I used a Raybestos, hub and wheel bearing. Also good. But, I'll bet that I should have used either MOOG, or SKF. Hind sight, is 20/20...

When it comes to wheel bearings, you CANNOT skimp...period!

Back