How to replace your Fuel Pump in under 2 hours and for about $250 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace your Fuel Pump in under 2 hours and for about $250

kschlege

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
My Ford dealership wanted $1100 to replace my fuel pump. I said no way.

I went to NAPA and got a fuel pump for about $250. I looked online and found a picture of the tank and figured out where it would be under the truck and cut an access hole.

The hole starts from about the front of passenger rear seat to the back of the passenger front seat and is about as wide as the floor. I just used a sawsall and held it on a angle so it wouldn't go too deep. Otherwise there is wiring and hoses you'll cut.

I had to spray a TON of pb blaster on the ring to get it to twist.

Here's a picture.

fuelpump.jpg

There is a thread with pics on how to do it. I must say though I did it the old fashion way and took less then 2hrs but whatever works for you.

Here is the thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322730

Like I said though doing it the old fashion way is not hard and you don't need a saw.

Thanks for the link. I searched, but couldn't find anything, because the title of the thread you linked was "stuck fuel gauge" or something.

I didn't want to drop the tank because I don't have access to a lift and also it's just me and the tank is about 3/4 full.

Back