How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links

im trying to replace my end links today and im having problems getting the nut to fit on the bolt it seems the bolt is a couple inches to short any suggestions?

If you have only one side of the vehicle jacked up then your wheels are at different heights (suspension travel points), try lowering vehicle to raise one side or raising vehicle to lower wheel on the other side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bolt bottom out

Do not be at all supprised if before you reach the spec torque of 15-21 lbs, on the new link bolt nut, that you run out of thread. On some of the new kits, the threads are not as long as the old orriginal bolts. Some folks like it because they say it takes the guess work out of the torque for those who do not have a wrench to set the limits. Just pull it down and leav it. Have seen both ways and the flare on the bushings seems to be about the same. Just make sure the weight is on the tires when you pull them down. Not sure if it makes any differece considering you are not going past the thread limit anyway.

what size is the stock front bar. 1998 xlt 2wd 5.0. im ordering bushings, and enough other parts to rebuilt the front end.

Oops. My fingers are too fat, I need a special dialing wand...

34 mm... :)

Moog K80082

No, I do not wear muumuu's.

End link broke yesterday on my way home. Will be tackling this job today, 60 today, High in the 30 from here on out. NAPA here i come!!!

OP wrote: Now move back to the sway bar bushings. Straighten them if needed, and tighten to somewhere between 65-90 lb. ft... Repeat for other side.

Pickup an old thread cause I am doing it today.The Haynes book (1991-2001) says that for 1995-2001 model, the torque for Front Stabilizer bar bushing clamp bolts is 25-34 Ft-lbs which is quite low comparing to what OP described.

Which do I use?

From the 1998 Ford Explorer Workshop manual. (25-34 ft/lbs)

^ It looks like they don't allow direct linking so the link doesn't work unless logged in and already browsing the vehicle list... but to be brief, that also lists 25 to 34 ft-lbs.

Just took the bar off and the bushings are below. The pass side was totally shot. The struck is 98 with 120K miles on Minnesota roads from new.

10125180966_b7a2d07f64_b.jpg

I was surprised after 18 years, bushings were not too bad. Replaced them with Moog, Ford Blueish color. Cant say I noticed a big difference in handling, glad to have changed them though.

I was surprised after 18 years, bushings were not too bad. Replaced them with Moog, Ford Blueish color. Cant say I noticed a big difference in handling, glad to have changed them though.
You won't, unless they are completely shot like the picture above. Similar to spark plugs or air filters used for 200K. ;)

Can't get the end link bar off because of the rust. Had to use muscle to cut it. :sawzall:

10127575875_2e9ea33b9e_b.jpg

Note that my 98 has horizontal mounting of the bar.

What kind of grease do you use for the swaybar bushingsm and do you have to use grease at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of grease do you use for the swaybar bushingsm and do you have to use grease at all?

Silicone brake grease will work fine... if you happened to already have some or envision it being useful to have more than the tiny bit it takes to do sway bars at a better price per oz and more readily available locally.

Back