How to reset the Oil Monitor sensor | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to reset the Oil Monitor sensor

Good for you calb but I still don't think there should be any charge for that. It should be part of the oil change service. Next time tell them you'll do it yourself if they insist on charging for it.
Glad to hear you will now have a substantial credit on your account.:thumbsup:

Peter

Apparently they just put it on the bill as a reminder to do it, and there is never a charge for it. He just hit hte "99" a couple extra times and ended up charging. So I'll let them do it, and if I they don't I certainly can :)

In the meantime I'm going to have to figure out how to change the in-cab filter myself. $80 bucks to replace is a lot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use synthetic oil and enjoy a 10k change interval and even then, the mechanic tells me the oil is crystal clear. If this My Touch system is so smart, why is it telling me to change my oil after 3-4000 miles?

more importantly, can I just tell it to use 10k intervals, instead of Skynet AI telling me when to do it?

The My touch system is not designed to differentiate between synthetic or dino oil. No system on the market at this time can. It only monitors temps and driving style to tell you how much life is left in the oil. If you feel you must go 10000 miles between oil changes then just reset it at 5000 miles and go another 5K. Oh and if you do not change the oil at Ford recommended intervals they can refuse any internal engine damage under warranty. Because if you do have an internal engine failure and bring it in you will need service record and or receipts. If any service record or receipt shows an interval greater than Fords service interval they will void the warranty on the spot. Then maybe you can get Skynet to pay for your engine repairs!

The My touch system is not designed to differentiate between synthetic or dino oil. No system on the market at this time can. It only monitors temps and driving style to tell you how much life is left in the oil. If you feel you must go 10000 miles between oil changes then just reset it at 5000 miles and go another 5K. Oh and if you do not change the oil at Ford recommended intervals they can refuse any internal engine damage under warranty. Because if you do have an internal engine failure and bring it in you will need service record and or receipts. If any service record or receipt shows an interval greater than Fords service interval they will void the warranty on the spot. Then maybe you can get Skynet to pay for your engine repairs!

ya'll know you're responding to a four year old post don't you? :)

ya'll know you're responding to a four year old post don't you? :)

The recent question posted was recent in 2015 lol.

Anyway, depending on what kind of engine you have, I wouldn't go over 5K on a turbo vehicle. Synthetic or not. The oil life calculation is determined by your acceleration, etc. If the oil says it needs to be changed, I'd do it. Maybe give it 2K more miles since you're on synthetic, but other than that, if you plan to keep it long term, I wouldn't go past 5K personally since oil becomes acidic over time from the fuel, etc.

First of all MyFord Touch has NOTHING to do with the oil life monitor.

Also the incompetent dealer should be resetting this when they do an oil change. I use the monitor as a guide, not a tell all end all.

I use AMSOIL and go more by their guidelines rather than the monitor.

Back