How to: Restore your dingy headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Restore your dingy headlights

dkmcclelland

Reaction score
City, State
Adel, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 ST Adrenalin
I know there are other methods of doing this; more expensive, only temporary, or simply ineffective ways.

I found an amazing product called "Crystal View Headlight Restorer/Defogger"

DSC02533.jpg

It's made my the folks at Crystal View and only costs $23.99 per kit at your local Advanced Auto Parts. It's also available for order at www.myheadlight.com for $23.96 plus shipping costs.

What's included in the pack:
(1) Plastic Glove
(2) Packets of CV #1 (Polish)
(4) Packets of CV #2 (Polyurethane clear coat)
(6) HydroWeave cloths (May be green, yellow, or orange)
(2) Brown sheets of sand paper
(2) Blue sheets of sand paper
(1) Set of directions

DSC02535.jpg

What you'll need in addition to what's included:
- Some masking tape
- A mister filled with water
- Paper towels or towels
- Hairdryer (If it's cold out)
- Power Hand Sander (If you just don't want to do it by hand: remember to use the provided sand paper)

DSC02534.jpg

Preparation:
- You can keep the headlights on the car during the restoration.
- Don't perform if the vehicle will be exposed to snow/rain within 15 minutes after restoration
- Allow 24 Hours before you wash your car
- It works best if it's between 50-90 degrees Fahrenheit

The beginning:
DSC02541.jpg

Important: To keep from sanding off the finish from surrounding surfaces, take the masking tape and cover up the bumper, grill, corner light, etc with masking tape making sure nothing is exposed.

DSC02542.jpg

Note: If it's cold out, you may want to use the hairdryer on the last step to keep the headlight warm while the CV #2 dries.

Ready? Set. Go!

Step 1:
You'll want to moisten the Brown sand paper and the headlight and start sanding, making sure to keep the headlight moist. Apply a small amount of CV #1 to the sand paper along with water to keep the headlight moist. Do not apply more CV #1 if the lens begins to dry, just mist it with water. Make sure that you do NOT let the headlight dry while sanding

DSC02543.jpg

Step 2:
Wipe the paper lens with a paper towel to check progress. It'll start to look white and hazy, that's normal. If your headlight is really dull or damaged, and you still see damage, repeat Step 1 until damage is non-existent. If the lens is cleared of damange, proceed to the Blue sand paper using the same process. Remember to keep the surface moist.

DSC02547.jpg

Step 3:
Using the Blue start sanding on the moist surface. Add a small amount of CV #1 again to the blue sand paper. It's very fine and will immediately begin to "slide" over the surface. Once you're done, in approximately one minute, wipe the lens with a clean paper towel.

Step 4:
Apply a pea-sized amount of CV #1 to a piece of the HydroWeave cloth folded twice into a square. Vigorously polish the surface until the product begins to dry on the lens. (About 1 minute) Turn the cloth over and continue to polish until most of the product is removed.

Step 5: Wipe the surface with a damp cloth or paper towel until all residue has been removed, then completely dry the surface.

Important: Damage removal is critical; If it is incomplete, the final result will be less than desired. How much time you put into this will determine how great your headlight will turn out! {On a side note, my passenger side didn't turn out that great, I'll probably be redoing it again}

DSC02548.jpg

Step 6:
Next you'll apply the CV #2 to the HydroWeave cloths. (Note: There are 4 pouches, use one pouch for each coat applied to the lens. Apply two coats of CV #2 to each lens)

A note of caution: CV #2 comes out REALLY fast, be careful to make sure you get it all on the cloth and not your fingers

Make sure the lens is dry and slowly start to apply the complete pouch to the HydroWeave folded into a square.

Wipe onto the surface of the lens using LIGHT PRESSURE in one direction. Do not continue to wipe the product as it dries If you wipe it while it dries it'll pull the finish.

Step 7:
While the CV #2 is drying on the first lens, go ahead and do Steps 1-6 on the second lens.

Step 8:
Once you've got the coat of CV #2 on the second lens, start to let it dry and go back to the first lens. You'll want to put the second coat of CV #2 on that lens and let it start drying. Remember, if it's cold outside, you may want to use a hair dryer, or turn on your headlights to keep the lens warm.

Step 9:
Repeat step 8 on the second lens, making sure not to pull the CV #2 once it begins to dry.

Once the CV #2 cures, sit back and take a look at your brand new headlights for less than $30!

DSC02549.jpg

[Note: I've got moisture coming in on both my headlights near the high beam, I may look into just replacing the headlights completely if it doesn't clear up.]

This is my first official write up on the forum, so let me know if anything seems foggy and I'll see if I can clear it up for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha, thanks. Maybe someone will find this useful.. I've done it several times and it works like a charm every time. With the exception of today... it was just cold and wet out there... Damn weather!

Nice write up. I'd suggest disconnecting your bulbs parking the nose of your Ex in the sun, and let it dry then hitting it with an extra layer of clear RTV sealant and that should cure your issue with water moisture entering.
And I may have to try this as my headlights are really dinged up.

Brasso does the same thing. Its available for $2.99 at your local lowes/home depot. Just rub it on wait for it to dry to a haze and wipe off. You can seal it with some turtle wax (or whatever kind you use) after they are cleared up. They also sell this nifty little kit at autozone for about $20 that does a great job and its basically sanding and polishing but that had amazing results on my Maxima.

i use 800 grit sandpaper and alot of water sand completely lens will be hazed then i use mothers stainless polish and buff with a machine looks brand new !!! then add a coat of mothers polish or polish of your liking

Nice write-up. :thumbsup: I know it can be difficult to find something that will actually work when trying to restore the headlights. I have tried many different products and found the 3M Kit actually works. That's what I have used and like the results.

Once again, nice job!, and thanks for taking the time to do the write up and sharing it with us! :biggthump

Yeah, the results are a lot better if you use a hand sander

Good to know. Although, like I said, the lights I restored came out amazing!!

That's good. There are a lot of ways to restore headlights. I've got moisture coming in still, I think that's why mine don't look as good as I'd like... it's all on the inside... I can get a new set for about $60-75 on eBay, just not sure of the quality of the set

So I got tired of looking at those headlights.. They were worse after I finished than they were before. The entire inside of the lens had filled with moisture to the point where my brights were seemingly non-existent...

Bought a new set! And amazingly enough, they were $47 shipped!

http://www.amazon.com/EAGLE-EYES-PA..._8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1297575807&sr=8-8

Got them in 3 days, and they're beautiful! I spent 4 hours yesterday washing, waxing, and polishing the Ex so when I changed the headlights today it looks like she should be sitting aside the '11 on the lot!

acf9bdcb.jpg

:eek: Looks really nice! :eek:

I need some new headlights and have bookmarked the link. Thanks. :thumbsup:

No problem! They come with bulbs also

Back