How to restore with spray paint

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
For faded plastic trim pieces, I guess I can use DupliColor or Plasti-Kote's flat black trim paint. Besides cleaning the piece, do I have to prime or sand the piece. I'm guessing no since plastic trim usually isn'y painted originally, rather the plastic is black in color.

How about metal "trim" pieces like windshield wipes and bumpers. I'm the old paint needs to be sanded off, then maybe primed, then what kind of DC or PK paint should i use?

Fortunately, the truck I'm trying to restore had a recent body paint job, so I don't have to worry too much about the basic body, but I noticed inside the door jams, there is old paint and even rust. Is there a preventative/touch-up I can do here?

For plastic pieces I wouldn't sand , just because sand marks are going to show up real easy on plastic. If you look at the instructions for the trim paint it should tell you what kind of prep to use. I'm guessing cleaning with some sort of cleaner that's safe on plastics.

For the metal pieces like wiper arms and such. I'd lightly sand to get the chips and such smoothed out. Steel wool might work good if there's not too many chips and then use primer and paint.

For the inside of your doors. You can buy a rust prep at UAP/NAPA (I'm sure other car parts store have it). You remove as much of the loose rust as you can and when this stuff is sprayed on it turns the remaining rust into primer and slows future rust. Then prime and use a can of color match aerosol and you should be good to go.

Back