• Register Today It's free!

How to...Service Trans Governor?

explorerscope

Reaction score
City, State
Deland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer 4D 4x4 auto
My trans does not shift when cold. So far I researched threads which say it can be a sticking governor. Its a A4LD 93 explorer, Where is this governor located and how do I service it? Is it possible to do the job myself in my garage without need for a lift or do I need to carry it to a shop? Last time I carried it to the shop they talk about rebuilding cause of a slipping problem, but a test at Autozone showed the TPS was bad.

Also should I change the transmission fluid and filter before servicing the governor, the fluid is very dark and I got no idea when it was changed(only owned 2 months).

I also saw a post and I'm curious, it was talking about placing a magnet in the trans pan...what on earth is that for? and would I need one?

explorerscope said:
Also should I change the transmission fluid and filter before servicing the governor, the fluid is very dark and I got no idea when it was changed(only owned 2 months).

I also saw a post and I'm curious, it was talking about placing a magnet in the trans pan...what on earth is that for? and would I need one?

I can't help you out with the governor problem - but the rest I can. I would extremely recommend getting your fluid changed and a new filter in there. I would do it after you cleaned/replaced the governor. The fluid could be a problem too with your slipping. One thing about buying someones car, you can't really tell when they did anything - so a good rule of thumb is to change any fluids/maitnance stuff if you have any doubt about it.

The magnet in the transmission pan will collect metal shavings. These metal shavings are from various of things, but mostly your gears in your transmission. The reason for these is to keep the shavings out of the transmission and when you service the transmission the next time after you put the magnet in there, you should clean the magnet as well as the pan! Good luck! Hope that could help out with 2/3s of your questions.

-Drew

In the Useful Threads forum there is a thread called "My A4LD Rebuild Diary" included in that thread are pictures and info on how to change the governor. It is also covered in the Explorer Maintenance Page, also linked in the Useful threads forum. If you do a search I would think you might find more (can't swear to that though). Happy reading!

So why the dumb transmission shop told me oh no don't change the fluid and fliter, it will do more damage...It it dang used car, God knows how long its been sitting in the car lots, I was thnking if I do the basics and then there is still a problem, then I would definetely need to get a rebuild, but from the service manual I got, lots can cause trans slipping from a clogged filter, to a simple sensor...so who i guess they trying to rob me?

Back