• Register Today It's free!

How to switch off the air bag?

Jeff00000168

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4.0 SOHC XLT 4X4
I'm thinking of opening my steering wheel cover since the lights of the cruise control on/off switch which is located at the left side of the steering wheel of my 98 Eplorer XLT isn't working. My cruise control isn't working too by the way. Anyone familiar with this situation? Maybe it's just the fuse but I don't know where the fuse of the cruise control is since I lost my manual. Maybe I don't need to dismantle my steering wheel.

Thanks in advance! :)
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those lights are known to go dead.
the on/off side on mine has been dead since I got the truck 3 years ago. My headlight switch bulb is dead too. It doesn't bother me since I know what's what.
and the only way to "turn off" the airbags, is to remove the airbag fuse.

Disconnect the battery for 30-45 minutes.

Listen to Todd, pulling a fuse is not enough. To disable an air bag you need to remove both the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Fifteen minutes is sufficent though.

MONMIX said:
Listen to Todd, pulling a fuse is not enough. To disable an air bag you need to remove both the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Fifteen minutes is sufficent though.

really? huh, interesting. I'll hafta remember that.

I said that to be safe. I don't want to be the one responsible for the guy getting hit by the bag in the side of the head. :p :)

IAmTodd said:
I said that to be safe. I don't want to be the one responsible for the guy getting hit by the bag in the side of the head. :p :)

I've heard stories before.... :( not good at all

Like they said though, 15 mins or so.

-Drew

Back