Humming Sound- Solved? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Humming Sound- Solved?

woodbutcher57

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
2008 Explorer XLT V6
Wife had been noticing a humming sound, and feeling a slight vibration in the steering wheel at slower speeds (<20 mph), and usually when the vehicle was under load (inclines, start from stops, etc).

I've been following several threads here (most of them seem to be realizing the noise/feel at higher speeds though), and was assuming we were in the market for a bearing/hub assembly change.

Last year, she had a bearing go bad in the rear, and 1 of the tires was worn to the point of needing replacement. We replaced both rear tires. This week, we had an opportunity to get the now worn front tires replaced, and took it to a local tire shop.

When my wife was discussing tire options, she mentioned the noise/feel, and the salesman said that could be from the mismatched tires, and the drive system trying to compensate for different wheel speeds. To me, I would have just assumed that he was trying to selll me 4 tires instead of 2, but after some discussion with the wife, and the mileage she drives, we decided to change all 4.

Now for the record, the rear tires had better than half of their life left. I can't imagine that if the mathematics were done, there is a whole lot of difference between a brand new tire and a half worn one, or is there? The other wild card would be that the front tires were a different brand from the rears. Again, enough to make a big enough difference in diameter, and thus wheel speed, to create a problem for the drive system??

Well, it's been a week on the new tires, and we've yet to hear any hint of the noise, and absolutely no vibration in the steering wheel. We also had a 4 wheel alignment done, but I don't know if there was any substantial adjustments made or needed.

So, food for thought I guess. I told the wife that if indeed the wheel speed difference was that critical, then 4 wheel rotations at scheduled intervals was going to be a MUST.

Will monitor the situation and report back any future results.

The local tire shop is correct. You were right to replace all four at the same time.

Back