Humming sound up front, is it my bearings? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Humming sound up front, is it my bearings?

What happend to this thread... I am having the same problem, roaring sound when you let off the gas at 40mph and less. Had front wheel bearings replaced and still there. Took to good year, said uneven tire where on the front tires causing it, bad ball joints also. Said I need to replace ball joints, balance and rotate and have aligned. Already spent 140 on wheel bearings. Any ideas? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar noise (Rumble/hum) only mine comes on when I am cruising and almost goes away when I let of the GAS as you say, I am thinking maybe Uni Joint’s on the drive shaft’s as it only happens when a load is on it, Wheel bearings should make a noise if bad whenever the tyres are moving.

Rear diff well it’s a Ford 8.8 so not exactly weak, and only has 130Kilometres on it so it better not be a rear diff issue, the Dana 35 upfront I hope not, that look’s lake a PITA to do anything with.

The other one it could be is maybe T/case shaft input bearings.

What ever it is i am in Australia so Part’s will be F***ing expensive for it.

Any thoughts guys.

I finally broke down and bought the new hub assemble(bearing) and it wasn't it. I left it as is for a couple years, then my transfer case went out. I picked one up from a junk yard and installed it, and the noise was 80% gone. I think that humming is somewhat common in explorer t-cases...

Noise like this are so subjective and hard to define on a forum... hopefully you have better luck than I did

Entinnovations, that sound is usually the sign of a shot transfercase. Either the TOD clutch or the shift fork are shot, or close to it....

This is an old thread but I have the same sort of thump humming noise and it seems to be the front end of the Explorer. I was told it was bad BFG's with 8000km on them. So I went back and they put brand new BFG's on. Its still there infact its getting a bit worse. I have to go back to dealership they want to put stock Explorer wheels on and see if it goes away. I'm thinking its in the driveline but they say no. We'll see what they say in 8 hours from now.

Rammer, yeah this is an old thread but the problem seems to be unsolved. I'm working on the same thing on my 98 2WD so I'm guessing that it is not a 4WD issue (at least in my case :) ). I'm thinking there have been different problems thrown out here with a similar symptom - the growl/hum sound.

The next place I'm going with mine is the transmission mount, as it seems to be spongy and could be transfering a "normal" drivetrain noise into the frame through the Xmember. Then I'm going to go to the famous 8.8 rear diff bearing issue which is caused by the roller bearings using the axel surface as a inner race, which wears out the axels where the bearings run. You have to replace both rear axels with brand new ones and install new bearing and seals. Of course with a 8.8 you have to tear the spider pak out of the diff to remove the C-clips to remove the axels.

Old thread or not, when I find the real problem I will post the results.

I had the dealership replace the entire rear end about 30,000km ago due to a whinning under warranty. In the end they told me that it was a faulty case. Now I had a different dealership tell me its my front diff and they had the same problem with another Explorer not long ago. He said its not my tires and thats what I think. So I go back to my dealership where I have all my work done and they are saying no nothing wrong with the truck its your tires. So I go have new ones put on and literally the next day I drive to Calgary and the mountains and yeah its still there. On the way home it gets worse.

So I say that theres no flippin way it's tires and that it has to be something in the driveline like bearings or a U joint. Anyway I'm off to the dealership in the next hour. They are going to put stock tires from another Ex on mine and rule out the tires or prove to me that they are the problem. I just cant see 2 sets of new tires being the problem. I put about 8000+km on the first set and no problem... then it comes around and I put a whole new set on and right off the bat they are the problem as well?.... highly unlikely. lol anyway I'll post back when I get back later today.

Turned out to be the right rear shaft. Funny how the sound can go through the Explorer and make you think its in the front end. I got them to pick up some of the bill so it wasn't to bad. Noise gone and I'm very happy. I think I even love my Explorer again. :D

Back