HVAC system clicking sound no heat!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HVAC system clicking sound no heat!?

JawzSS

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mountaineer
I have an 04 mounty.. There is a constant clicking coming from the dash at any setting (hot, cold, face, feet, defrost, etc.) and it seems as though it will not get warm and stuck on defrost.? Winter is coming amd I need to get this fixed. I had it in to my local shop not too long ago for some other things and they said it's most likely the "ac actuator."

Does this seem right? They also wanted $500 to fix it..Obviously I politely declined andfigure on giving it a go myself.

Any ideas what part to order etc?

Thanks jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although big rhondo is amazing and did an excellent job, I will tell you that I have never gotten a quote as low as $500 to have it done... Ford dealer #1 said $1126, Ford dealer #2 said $953 and the Ford dealer I usually service with said $740. My non dealer mechanic said anywhere from $6-700. So $500 isn't that bad considering... Im doing it myself this weekend. Im headed to Ford tomorrow to negotiate a cheaper price on the part- wanted $90. I picked it up today for $50 from autozone, but was told to return and get the Ford part as the aftermarket ones may not have the potential upgrades that the new Ford ones have... Best of luck if you try it! Its 32 tonight- and I only keep this truck for the winter, so to not have heat is just stupid!

I have an 04 mounty.. There is a constant clicking coming from the dash at any setting (hot, cold, face, feet, defrost, etc.) and it seems as though it will not get warm and stuck on defrost.? Winter is coming amd I need to get this fixed. I had it in to my local shop not too long ago for some other things and they said it's most likely the "ac actuator."

Does this seem right? They also wanted $500 to fix it..Obviously I politely declined andfigure on giving it a go myself.

Any ideas what part to order etc?

Thanks jeff

Jeff, I think the Mounties all have DATC (dual controls) so there's 2 blend doors and 2 actuators. If you do this repair yourself please post back and let us know if it's much different than the manual controls most of us have. I don't remember reading anything by someone who did blend door actuator repair on a DATC system. If it's the passenger side I believe it will be tough to do without at least loosening the dash and swinging it partially out. Maybe not, I've never looked under the dash on my brother's Mounty. If it's driver's side it is probably much like Rondo's write up.

Good luck.

Back