I’m an idiot...

Tech Geek

Reaction score
City, State
St. Clair Shore, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I’m an idiot.

I have a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT with 36k miles.

I was in the process of routing a wire from the engine compartment into the cabin. Based on space, I decided to drill through the firewall. Using a bit extender, I drilled from the engine bay side. I entered just to the right of the brake pedal (left of the brake pedal if sitting in the driver’s seat).

All was fine except when I tried to locate the hole from the cabin. I could not easily see where I came through as there is a rubber gasket along the wall. I then tried to get a fiberglass rod through the hole, but the hole was slightly too small, so I grabbed another bit the next size up. This time when I ran the bit through the hole from the engine side, the bit raced through faster and easier than I expected and I saw a brief spark. Ugh.

I finished threading the wire through and stopped that project so I can assess the impact of my slip-up.

I immediately noticed that the courtesy light in the 2nd row was not working. I then noticed a slew of other issues. I started the engine and these issues were immediately identified:

1. Touch screen worked, but mechanical buttons below the touch screen were non-functional and non-illuminated.

2. The Traction Control, Traction Control Off, and Airbag Dummy lights were on (constant).

3. A message showed up on the touch screen and simultaneously a voice came through the speakers stating that 911 Assist is not active.

4. The headlamps turn on (both manually and auto). LED daytime running lights are also on, but they will not turn off - even with the light switch turned to off and/or with the engine completely off. I have to pull the battery cable to get the lights to go off.

5. The keyless entry panel (Intellicode) does not light up nor does it work.

6. The door locks do not work, including the passive entry system. Locks have to be manually locked and hidden key shank in FOB is only way to lock/unlock.

7. Actual key FOB does not work - when I press the lock or unlock buttons, nothing happens.

8. Lift gate does not open when the exterior button is pressed (power lift).

There’s probably other symptoms, but that all I recall at the moment.

I’m an idiot (worth mentioning again)...

I need to start trouble shooting tomorrow, so I’d like to get your expert opinions on what I can/should check.

I plan on checking any harnesses in the location that I came through the firewall to check if I hit one and severed any wires. I also looked and saw a fuse bank in this same location, so I will also look for bad fuses/relays.

I really don’t think I drove the bit into a module or anything that extreme. The spark make me think I shorted a wire or hit an open fuse terminal, but the amount of immediate issues that simultaneously occurred is freaking me out.

Any other suggestions? I do not want to take it to a dealership as I know it will cost me a ton for them to trouble shoot and repair. Trying myself is my initial punishment.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is in the way of getting to the location where you drilled through?
Obviously you have hit a wiring harness or worse.
You will need to access the wiring you damaged with the drill to repair it
So what needs to be removed so you can get to it?

the dash?

You are going to need to fix the damage done, likely some wires were drilled into....they should be easy enough to fix once you can access the area
All circuits are protected by fuses, so as soon as you fix the shirt circuit then you should be able to replace any fuses and be back up and running.

We all make mistakes, some more costly then others!
The key here is getting access to the area the drill went into

Thanks for this response. I can contort my body and get my head by the brake pedal and will look closer at the harness that is there.

Do you have any suggestions on where I can get my vehicle wiring diagram and instructions on dash removal if needed?

lets see the location, then some people here can help for sure! Only thing I have ever done to any Explorer after 2001 is drive it :)
My mom has a 2018, its a wicked machine......but it came with dealer maintenance so I have not even changed the oil. I wrench on older explorers. There are people here who can help I am sure, I just help to get the ball rolling

That sounds horrible, hopefully fix is simple... We all make dumb mistakes and it always reminds me that I should have just left it instead of trying to add a mod or upgrade to my newer f-150 that no one but me will notice lol. Do you have forscan? It may point to the specific issue(s).

I’m an idiot.

I have a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT with 36k miles.

I was in the process of routing a wire from the engine compartment into the cabin. Based on space, I decided to drill through the firewall. Using a bit extender, I drilled from the engine bay side. I entered just to the right of the brake pedal (left of the brake pedal if sitting in the driver’s seat).

All was fine except when I tried to locate the hole from the cabin. I could not easily see where I came through as there is a rubber gasket along the wall. I then tried to get a fiberglass rod through the hole, but the hole was slightly too small, so I grabbed another bit the next size up. This time when I ran the bit through the hole from the engine side, the bit raced through faster and easier than I expected and I saw a brief spark. Ugh.

I finished threading the wire through and stopped that project so I can assess the impact of my slip-up.

I immediately noticed that the courtesy light in the 2nd row was not working. I then noticed a slew of other issues. I started the engine and these issues were immediately identified:

1. Touch screen worked, but mechanical buttons below the touch screen were non-functional and non-illuminated.

2. The Traction Control, Traction Control Off, and Airbag Dummy lights were on (constant).

3. A message showed up on the touch screen and simultaneously a voice came through the speakers stating that 911 Assist is not active.

4. The headlamps turn on (both manually and auto). LED daytime running lights are also on, but they will not turn off - even with the light switch turned to off and/or with the engine completely off. I have to pull the battery cable to get the lights to go off.

5. The keyless entry panel (Intellicode) does not light up nor does it work.

6. The door locks do not work, including the passive entry system. Locks have to be manually locked and hidden key shank in FOB is only way to lock/unlock.

7. Actual key FOB does not work - when I press the lock or unlock buttons, nothing happens.

8. Lift gate does not open when the exterior button is pressed (power lift).

There’s probably other symptoms, but that all I recall at the moment.

I’m an idiot (worth mentioning again)...

I need to start trouble shooting tomorrow, so I’d like to get your expert opinions on what I can/should check.

I plan on checking any harnesses in the location that I came through the firewall to check if I hit one and severed any wires. I also looked and saw a fuse bank in this same location, so I will also look for bad fuses/relays.

I really don’t think I drove the bit into a module or anything that extreme. The spark make me think I shorted a wire or hit an open fuse terminal, but the amount of immediate issues that simultaneously occurred is freaking me out.

Any other suggestions? I do not want to take it to a dealership as I know it will cost me a ton for them to trouble shoot and repair. Trying myself is my initial punishment.

Thanks in advance.

Quick thought, how many fuses did you replace ?

:pics:
:)
Thanks pictures are worth a thousand words

Back