• Register Today It's free!

I’m having issues with the 5r55s

Jaylo2024

Reaction score
City, State
Ripley tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer xlt
I have changed my transmission fluid n filter an I have changed my external wiring harness why am I not getting 1 gear or overdrive it asks like it’s starting in second an shift thru 3rd into 4th but I latterly have no first gear or overdrive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my oil changed at a fast lube service well we drove it home when we got in our driveway the traction control light flashed on n off we didn’t think nothing of it we went to get back out the next morning went to go to the bank up town in reverse the thing shifted good when we put it in drive it acted a lil sluggish then it took off we’ll we got to the bank an my fincee ran In while she was in side the check engine light came on along with the wrench symbol we didn’t think nothing of it I have a code reader that home I’ll check it then we go to drive from regions bank to the murphys gas station an the truck acted like it was either stuck inbetween gears or limp mode on we pull in at the gas station shut it off an fuel up we start her back up an went to pull off the rpm’s we’re running around the 3500 range an it didn’t want to pull we decided to just drive it home it letterly wouldn’t go over 30 mile per hour an it’s not like our truck we have never had a transmission problem the whole time with this truck we’ll I decided I was gonna send it to a transmission shop they had my truck for no more the 4 hours done called me back and they told me the transmission needs a complete overhaul an a transmission flush they quoted us 3981 with no warranty we’ll I decided not the let them do the work got it towed to my house found out the battery was bad I went an bought a new battery put it on it started it up took it down the road for a test drive it seemed like to me it was tring to go into 1 gear then skip over it straight to 3rd then 4th then was having problems going into overdrive I have changed the transmission external wiring harness to the shift solenoid Pack then I was told it needed the transmission fluid n filter changed so I done that an put sea foam trans tune in it an it’s still acting like it wants to go into first gear then goes into second the third then fourth but tring to engage in overdrive I was told if I replace the three speed sensors on the driver side of the transmission it would fix the issue of 1 not engaging an overdrive not engaging what do you all think

Pay the man in consider it a lesson learned

I’ve already paid the man that was not the point of the post I was asking if I bought the three vehicle speed sensor would I get drive n overdrive back
Without connecting this thing to a scanner we really won't know if the sensors are truly the cause of the problem
there could be a broken band or reverse sprag in there which is most likely the problem you may need to rebuild sorry to be the barrer of bad news 4 grand is too expensive 2 grand is more like it 3 if they remove and install it

I’ve already paid the man that was not the point of the post I was asking if I bought the three vehicle speed sensor would I get 1 an overdrive back
Without connecting this thing to a scanner we really won't know if the sensors are truly the cause of the problem
there could be a broken band or reverse sprag in there which is most likely the problem you may need to rebuild sorry to be the barrer of bad news 4 grand is too expensive 2 grand is more like it 3 if they remove and install it
Ty I kinda figured something was messed up inside of it but I’m no transmission mechanic n I knew 3981 with out a warranty didn’t sound right I guess it put it up for a lil while till I can afford a used one an put it in it

Unfortunately, the 5R55 transmissions aren't all that reliable as the miles rack up. Especially if they haven't been serviced every 60k miles. Odds are you are probably looking at replacing it.

Back