transmission Question

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
So i have a question i have an 06 and on the shift lever there is your standard settings PRD234 okay i get that, and most cars have an overdrive too. When i press the overdrive button it down shifts to what feels like a different gear than when i shift to third gear. does my ex have five forward gears or just four.

If it is only a four then does any one know why the O/D button goes to a higher RPM than shifting in to 3rd?

The O/D button turns off over-drive -- overdrive is "on" unless you push that button.

Turning off overdrive results in greater RPMs because overdrive is, by definition, any gear ratio where by the input of the transmission (therefore the engine) is turning slower than the output of the transmission. Most overdrives are 0.75:1 -- meaning the transmission rotates only 0.75 for every 1 rotation of the driveshaft. Therefore, if you turn off overdrive, you're back to 1:1 ratio which means an increase in RPM from the engine.

Your vehicle has five forward gears including overdrive.

Hey Thanks IZwack i always wondered if i had five, i thought i did and guess now i know why my old 1991 ex got worse gas mileage than my newer 06

1991 Eddie Bauer Totaled in head on colision with parking light pole:thumbdwn::(:roll:

Back