I fixed my overhead console display yesterday, pictures added. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I fixed my overhead console display yesterday, pictures added.

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I fixed my overhead console readout display, it's been out for about two years now and I finally got to soldering the 510 chip back onto the mainboard and now it works again, I'll post pictures later today of how I did that.

I went to the local junkyard yesterday and grabbed a radio/dash bezel from a 2nd Gen Explorer, I plan on taking out the toggle swith I have for my roof offroad lights and wiring them into the second switch the 2nd Gen Ex bezel has for the rear window defrost. I'll swap out the defrost button for my fog light button and it'll look factory.

My question is, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the fog light switch so I can splice into those wires? Colors to what they are?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so here's the pictures of the overhead console taken apart in the first picture.

To get the console out there are two screws when you open the sunglass pocket and two clips on the front you just pull down on and remove the wiring harness.

picture.php

To take apart the console there are three screws to remove and you disconnect to wiring harness.

Here's a picture of the circuit board and the 510 circuit theat the solder heats up and pops apart, you can see in pictures. To fix this just take a flat head screwdriver, heat up the soldering iron and melt alittle solder wire onto the ciruit board and quickly push the 510 chip down onto the solder, put everything back together and you now have a working overhaed console again.

picture.php

picture.php

Nice job Jerry! Thanks for the photos.

I'll send you the schematics. I'm just overloaded right now and haven't been here in a couple days.

Check your mail.

Ok, thanks man. I was wondering if you were ok or not.

LOL, yeah I guess. Tuesdays are my really long day, yesterday turned into one thanks to a really big a-hole customer (now ex-customer), have acres of grass to cut, a leaking water line the County screwed up and won't fix, daughters Senior Awards ceremonies this afternoon, graduation and reception Saturday..... maybe by Sunday I can fix the water line, cut the grass Monday morning.....

Thank You !

Thanks for the pics. It WORKED :) That was the smallest solder job I have ever done. Knowledge is POWER ! :usa::usa:

I figured it'd help someone else out, this is such a common issue and I didn't find any other write up with pictures.

Just did the repair, and I too say THANK YOU!!!! :thumbsup:

Very easy, hardest part was making sure I had the right Torx tool, and being careful when soldering.

maybe someone can help me out? my overhead lights started working kinda sporadically,so I removed the plastic lens cover and saw that the thin piece of metal that encircles both lights and plugs into the console was broken. I was hoping I could simply unplug it, but no such luck. dealership says the entire overhead console has to be replaced,but I'm having a hard time finding one and I don't wanna pay the dealership my life savings. can this thing be soldered and fixed?

It sounds like the metal ground housing needs the connection soldered back together or you can get one from a 2nd Gen '95-01 Explorer and replace the parts needed.

sounds like the flex circuit - which is not possible to solder, unless you fabricate new copper lands and can glue and solder onto the existing ones.
like mentioned above, go to the wreckers and get a used flex circuit.

Thanks for the guidance on the overhead console! Just did mine. One of the 510 resistors (I presume) was completely disconnected. Fell out on the desk when I took the cover off. Soldered it back on and resoldered the other one just in case. All better now.

this fixes the complete black out of it or the flickering of the dimmer feature? cause that's my issue when i dim my dash the overhead flickers.

Mine was complete black-out. Use to be intermittent in and out, then just out. I didn't have a dimmer issue.

Glad to see my write-up helps others. If I had the time to do write-ups for all the stuff I've done on my Trac you could pretty much rebuild your entire truck with them, seriously.

05dakotatrac, I would take the overhead console down and check all of the wiring connections as well as the circuits on the board itself. I'll bet it's something really simple, I know mine did the same thing before it completely went blank.

Alot of new members have been asking how to fix their's so I thought I would revive this.

so I'm wondering...? my display lights up, but the temp read out always displays 140? Think there's a loose connection...?

thanks for any input.

smat

Thanks for posting this thread. I pulled mine apart today and found a missing 510 component I measured the one next to it and it metered almost 51 ohms. I am assuming this is a resistor, anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Edit:

Well I just did a google search for "510 surface mount resistor" and came up with a link to a Tacoma forum where people are having the same issue.

Apparently this is a cross-company problem, likely using the same supplier for the boards.

Anyway, It is indeed a resistor with a value of 51 ohms. Someone has said it is 1/4 watt.

I am going to try and source some at a local radio shack and see what I find.

Just did this today, and got it working again. Forgot how nice it was to know my cardinal direction. Only difference between mine with having the sunroof is there are no screws, so you just push it as far towards the windshield as it will go (about 1-2 inches), and then pull it straight down with firm pressure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem and took apart the console. When i got to the circuit board one of my 510 was gone and i couldnt find it. Does anyone know where i can find the right resistor?

Back