i got a 6 inch fabtech lift tell me if got everything | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i got a 6 inch fabtech lift tell me if got everything

93 x

Reaction score
City, State
bothell washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
i know i need extended brake lines, shocks, spring perches and ill make my own extended bumpstops. i picked it up for 120. also can you tell me what commonly breaks when installing a lift. also where can i find shocks? thanks alot. o and one more thing a drop pitman arm maybe?!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k108/sweetazcandii14/P8110085.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump** thanks!!

In addition to the RA and Axle pivot drop brackets and Springs (what you got) to complete "lifting" a vehicle you will need a few other things..

Off the top of my head.
Shocks
Extended brake lines
Dropped pitman arm
bunch of nuts/bolts

While your doing the install you may as well replace the axle pivot and RA bushings

You also then need to lift the rear. I'm assuming your going to do an SOA. If so, search for $32 soa as it has the info you need to do an SOA yourself (spring over axle).

~Mark

In addition to the RA and Axle pivot drop brackets and Springs (what you got) to complete "lifting" a vehicle you will need a few other things..

Off the top of my head.
Shocks
Extended brake lines
Dropped pitman arm
bunch of nuts/bolts

While your doing the install you may as well replace the axle pivot and RA bushings

You also then need to lift the rear. I'm assuming your going to do an SOA. If so, search for $32 soa as it has the info you need to do an SOA yourself (spring over axle).

~Mark

ya i was going to replace the bushings and my wheel bearings. but i have already picked up the spring perches from 4x4 parts. im going to order extended brake lines unless you guys know where to get them custom made because they are like 115 for the whole set from 4x4. and also do f150 brake lines work(extended ones)?

Some people have found some f-350 lines that work but I don't now how much longer they are. What I would do is take one of the old lines with you (they should be the same length) and go to a speed shop (real hotrod shop). You should be able to buy steel braided lines in the length you need. The speed shop I goto uses "earles" brake lines which is part of "Holley". I pay around $25 per line if that. I did the same for my rear line. I brought in the old one and said I need one longer and viola, I got one.

~Mark

Some people have found some f-350 lines that work but I don't now how much longer they are. What I would do is take one of the old lines with you (they should be the same length) and go to a speed shop (real hotrod shop). You should be able to buy steel braided lines in the length you need. The speed shop I goto uses "earles" brake lines which is part of "Holley". I pay around $25 per line if that. I did the same for my rear line. I brought in the old one and said I need one longer and viola, I got one.

~Mark

ya that does not sound like a bed idea there is a jim greens out here he said they would do it for 25 bucks a peice. i cant find a dropped pitman arm anywhere.

You want a Superlift fa600 which IIRC is a $200+ part. I "think" it was red.eddie.4x4 that installed one somewhat recently (he had Tie rod issues but not from the fa600 dropped arm). I think he was running a 5.5" or so lift and the fa600 put his steering nice and flat where it belongs (better than stock too).

~Mark

You want a Superlift fa600 which IIRC is a $200+ part. I "think" it was red.eddie.4x4 that installed one somewhat recently (he had Tie rod issues but not from the fa600 dropped arm). I think he was running a 5.5" or so lift and the fa600 put his steering nice and flat where it belongs (better than stock too).

~Mark

wow thats exspensive ill save up for that haha any other ones tha will at least lower the steering geo

Not that I know of. The fa400 won't be a big enough drop and still is > $100 and there are no stock ones that I know of that have the drop you need. Oh, and don't even think about bending or cutting and welding yours.. :)

~Mark

no i wouldnt do that thats retarded. well maybe ill get a pitman arm in a few months. that sucks. hmmmmmmmm....... well could you tell me where you got your shcoks??

There is a Desert Rat shop in town, I went there to get them, BUT, I'm running f-250 shock mounts which means I get to run much longer shocks than I should be able to for our little 4.5" lift.

~Mark

Sure that's a 6" lift? It looks more like a 3" in your picture (possibly James Duff maybe?).

I would check it against your stock brackets before ordering the pitman arm. If it's a 3" lift, the standard FA400 drop arm should be fine.

You want a Superlift fa600 which IIRC is a $200+ part.

Skyjacker (not Superlift). ;)

Yea, what he said. I keep confusing skyjacker with superlift.

I also thought that looked like duff brackets but the spring dont look like duff nor have I ever seen first hand a fabtech kit.

~Mark

Duff has decent prices on shocks or any one of a million online retailers.

If you want to run sway-bars, you're gonna need extended links for those as well.

Also replace the axle pivot bushings while you're in there.

$115 isn't a bad deal for Extended brake lines. I bought the Skyjacker ones for my rig, but I wrecked one so I got my local 4x4 shop to build me a custom one that was a little longer than the SJ ones. He looked at the SJ ones and told me they were complete pieces of crap. So, I am going to get a longer one made for the other side as well. He charges around $200 for a complete set of 3.

Like 4x4junkie said, make sure that actually is a 6" lift before you go to all the trouble of the install. I didn't think Fabtech made a lift for 1st Gen Ex's. That could be Duff... and it could be short.

Oh, and if it is a smaller lift, Duff also has a dropped pitman arm that will work for like $65... not for 6" though.

hmm might be ill check at work that would suck and be kinda cool at the same tim becasue i want a 6 inch but if it was a james duff thats a good lift

The brackets look like Duff 2.5" to me (I just went outside to look under my rig) but the springs are something else, maybe Early Bronco?

If the pivot bolt is 8" below the horizontal plate with the 2 bolts in it(on the right side pivot drop bracket), it is the 2.5" kit.

You might get 4" of lift out of that but it will be hard to align.

Get that stuff installed and head over to Naches next weekend http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282624

The brackets look like Duff 2.5" to me (I just went outside to look under my rig) but the springs are something else, maybe Early Bronco?

If the pivot bolt is 8" below the horizontal plate with the 2 bolts in it(on the right side pivot drop bracket), it is the 2.5" kit.

You might get 4" of lift out of that but it will be hard to align.

Get that stuff installed and head over to Naches next weekend http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282624

yea its the 2.5, well how do i go about lifting the rear and also do they fit 33s? and how could i get 4 inches out of it, i can align it at work im pretty good at alignments.

If those are the right springs for 2.5" lift (they aren't Duff springs) you can add the f-150 lower spring seats to get to "about" 4". You can also buy the front springs from Duff to go with the brackets you already have. They actually sell a 3.5" set of springs that work in the 2.5" brackets. After that you "should" be able to put in 1/2" spacers (they normally come with the duff kit but its just a flat round piece of steel with a hole in the center) to get you up to 4" and still be alignable.

As for the rear, for 2.5" Duff sends an AAL. I don't know what they send for the 3.5" kit.
You may need to buy a new set of rear springs.

If the rear springs are only slightly shorter than you want you can throw on a set of WAR-153 shackles (we use them) but they will hang down some and it changes the pinion angle some (never heard anyone complain about it). There are a couple reports of springs going flatter faster that way, but I just haven't seen that yet. It does make them appear flatter when installed but thats just because the pivot point changes.

~Mark

yea its the 2.5, well how do i go about lifting the rear and also do they fit 33s? and how could i get 4 inches out of it, i can align it at work im pretty good at alignments.

What is your real goal?

Are there specific trails you have in mind?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i was thinking i could get a 2 inch aal and then a one inch shackel. but how long are unsprung front springs does anybody know off the top of their head? i wana compare but just to ask here is the james duff a great kit? i kind of want to sell it back for how much i paid for it because i wanted to do a soa..... but i like the lower center of gravity just as long as i can fit a 33 inch tire. maybe we should start a new theard on this haha if we can. and i apriciate the help alot guys thanks!!!:thumbsup:

Back