I have a problem starting my vehicle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a problem starting my vehicle.

littleharv93

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 f150 xlt
hi i went to start my explorer this moringing and it cranked about 3 times then stoped and let out a hissing noise

so i tryed it agian and it started but reved up to 2500 then back down to 900 very fast about 10 times probley and made a hissing noise when i shut it off

any ideas

its a 94 explorer
4.0 v6
5.5 inch lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! Did you make sure there are no vacuum lines loose?

no could it be an egr valve

i have heard they atre hard toi find is this true

Most likely you have a vacuum line that has come loose. Under hood on drivers side of the motor, near the back is a "tree" with multiple hoses on it. Check here and make sure each stub has a hose connected to it. Also look at your brake booster to see if the large hose is off there.

all right i will do that in shop tommorow i can still drive with a vacum line leak right i live maybe 1 mile from the school

this will cause a check engine light to come on right if i have a vacum line off

You should need the shop to do it.. it takes < 5 minutes.
If you find a connector without a hose just put the hose back on (if you can find it).. If you can't find it, cap the connector. In a pinch you can use a piece of hose with a screw or golf T etc in it.

Then you can drive it to the shop to really make sure the hose didn't fall off and hide itself.

~Mark

As long as you can keep it running, yes HOWEVER, you are asking it to do things not designed for. One or two miles won't kill you or it, but sooner the better to resolve that issue. Mainly your fuel mixtures will be all off, and gas mileage and power will both SUUUUUUCK with a vacuum leak.

will it cause a check engine light

It might.. its going to try to adjust the fuel mixture to richen it up to compensate but it can only go so far and the amount of air going into the engine isn't going to match what the MAS is going to see.

~Mark

found it 3 vacums lines were off

Thanks for the update! It sounded like it was a problem with the vacuum lines. Did you discover any transmission fluid in the lines? Sometimes the vacuum modulator could leak, and cause the vacuum lines to come off.

I have same problem with mine every year or so. Off the Vacuum Tee. You will most likely find a t with no hose. replace with vacuum cap. the rubber gets old and the vacuum and pressure causes them to pop off at start up. check all hoses and replace other caps. you'll be good as new.

I had the same problem with my 91 when i had it. When i would go to crank it up if it didnt crank up the first time it would blow a vacuum line off. Made it real interesting when the lines started dry rotting and when they blew off sometimes the would come apart and you couldnt always tell where they went.

Back