I have a weird problem, and need help with my 2003 Explorer A/C. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a weird problem, and need help with my 2003 Explorer A/C.

drobert3167

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2003 Ford explorer XLT and the a/c cools ok but the air comes out of all the vents including the floor and defrost vents. when you try to change to a different setting like norm a/c or floor it still blows out of all vents. I am pretty mechanically inclined but I am just stumped on this. Anyone who can help me would be greatly appreciated thank you. DGR:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure on 3rd generation they still used vacuum to move the blend doors. Most likely either the main line coming in the cab is broke or loose (I don't know where it is exactly) or if it is electronic, the blend motor is malfunctioning somehow. From what you describe, it sounds like a vacuum problem and the system is in safe mode so that the defrost still works.

Yeah it still uses vacuum to move the blend doors. I pulled the vacuum hose off of the one that controls the blend door and air still comes out of all the vents. When I put it back on to pull the vacuum there is a rod that moves inward towards the front of the truck and it seemingly works but still has the same result. Do you think that replacing the blend door actuator motor (on the electronic side) may fix the problem? Thanks for your time.DGR

Its not the blend door actuator, all that controls is temperature. From what I've seen the shaft that moves the vent position breaks off and jams the vents open. You can see it from the glovebox area when you drop it down.

I really don't know for sure cause I have never done it. I have had that problem before but it was a loose or disconnected vacuum line in the engine compartment. I am unfamiliar with the electrical side of it.

Ok. Ill check all the vacuum lines again plus ill look at the shaft that swetrid was talking about. But curious swetrid if the shaft is broken do i need to go and buy a replacement door that will block the vents it is supposed to? That would kinda explain that when you change the vent position on the controls nothing happens just still blows out of all the vents.

Just curious is there a vent door actuator in the 2003 explorer? just in case that the shaft isnt broken?

I've just been dealing with this (although for me all the air was going through the vents and none through defrost). This thread shows a picture of shaft and lever that prevent the vent door from changing modes if they become broken/disconnected. It is entirely visible from the glove box on my 2003.

If this is your issue and you come up with a fix and/or part #s to replace any of this, please post. Otherwise if I get it figured out I will (I'm not in a huge rush as my main concern was getting the defrost to work so I can pass state inspection, and I was able to do that by manually adjusting the lever).

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1769983#post1769983

Back