I have an interesting mod. Floor shifter in automatic Explorers. Would it work? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have an interesting mod. Floor shifter in automatic Explorers. Would it work?

We have the same floor shifter here in Australia as we are rhd as well, same as uk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is planned in one of my next mods. Im trying to figure out how to do a manual valve body and a ratchet shifter.

manual valve body on a 4R70W? A reverse manual valve body I believe would require a custom built valve body, no simple task!
Ratchet shifter = Art Carr IMO

410Fortune said:
manual valve body on a 4R70W? A reverse manual valve body I believe would require a custom built valve body, no simple task!

Oh I know. But think of it this way. When you have a fully interior truck with digital message center then a billet ratchet shifter in a mercury mountaineer, how originial is that?

exploderltd said:
We have the same floor shifter here in Australia as we are rhd as well, same as uk
Would you do a check for me? Ask your dealership how much for a new console with shifter for an 1999-2001 model Explorer, Eddie Bauer or Limited edition if available. That will tell me how much it is to start with. Some mods of those parts may come up with the right product to work.

I don't think you'll be able to use the message center though. Something to think about...

It's a cool idea, but I'd get a B&M Megashifter.

I wonder if they even have Eddie Bauers and Limiteds in the UK or Austrailia with floor shifts or is this for the XLT models only over there. Can someone tell us something and let us know? I certainly would like to find out more information on this and see if this can be done or not. Any help from the UK guys is appreciated....

We only have xlt models and a fancy one called 'North Face'. Also our centre console includes a hand brake lever. See my Sig for pics. Hope that helps.

I have a shifter question?????

All the people i have seen do the 5.0L/AODE swap don't use the columb shifter????How come????Is the shifter on the A4LD not compatable with the AODE????Do you just use a mustang/T-bird/LSC shifter for ease of install???

I have a 1998 model explorer limited and it has a floor shifter, but as said before the letters are on the rh side of the shifter and the handbrake behind the shifter. As far as i know all explorers that came into australia have floor shifters.

For more information on the australian explorers visit the site below

Australian Ford Explorer Info

I will try to find out prices from wreckers over here in Australia as to the price of floor shifter parts

Thanks explorerltd, this is what I came up with.

21512Floor_Shifter2_flipped.jpg

Right here in this picture is my point. That is the same shifter and shift indicator as in my 03 Ford Taurus.
21512Floor_Shifter_Flipped.jpg

These shifters are almost identical to the ones in the 2003 Ford Taurus SEL. I am still thinking the shifter from that vehicle would work on an Explorer. But the UK Limiteds are different from ours. You have floor shifters while we have a computer system in the console. So that won't work there. But in all other Explorers like the XL and XLT models it will. My question now is will the shifter from the Taurus connect to the transmission in an Explorer?

you can just unhook the message center and truck the wires up. if you where to do this mod to one.

All shifters in question use a simple cable to shift the transmission.

Yes people have used the A4LD column shifter when they did the AODE conversion, however modifications are necessary. You see the A4LD has a D and OD, the AOD only has D and a button to tun on/off the overdrive, so you have an extra shift position.

My truck never had a column shifter, the BII automatics up until 89 were floor shifters, my truck was a 5 speed from the factory, then A4LD, now AODE.

Back