Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
94 explorer sport 4X4
Mfg. 11/93
Auto with overdrive
I did a test this morning. I started out in 1st and then shifted to 2nd. When I shifted to Drive, the tranny did not shift. then when I went to overdrive it shifted then.

My axle code on the door reads "41" and transmission type "T"
Tag on the diff cover has a 3.27 on it.
I just bought this truck a month ago and finally got the speedo to read correctly with a GPS. Thanks everyone who helped me on that!!!!!

When doing 65 mph, my tachometer reads 3000rpms.

Just trying to figure out why my rpm's are so high to mph.

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I did some more testing on a hill today, I do have all my 4 forward gears. 1,2,D,&OD. Now why would my tach say that my rpms are 3000 when I am doing 65?

How do I check the lock up on the converter? I know what it is supposed to do. Just don't see it in the rpms or feel it in a speed increase.
Any ideas????

Mark

If you are not getting 4th gear (OD) you will run higher RPMS.... in the A4LD this is a common complaint, and often people confuse convertor lockup with 4th gear. There are two solenoids in that transmission and one conotrols convertor lockup and the other controls OD. The OD solenoid has been somewhat of a problem child.

What does your fluid look like?

I hate an approach that just throws parts at a problem, but it would not surprise me that replacing those solenoids (which can be had aftermarket for about $50 the pair) may solve your problem.

Take a look at the A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Diary in the stickies section.

I have yet to pull the dip stick and observe it. LOL Although I did pull it to put a can of lucas oil in it! I feel stupid now!!!!!

Anyway, Glacier, I have overdrive. I am sure of that. I will be in overdrive and then I put the selector in drive, there is a large rpm change. put it back to OD and the rpms drop.I am not feeling the lock up. About how much rpm drop would I get with the lockup engaged?

By the way, how deep are these solenoids in the trannie? When it comes to auto trannies, I get lost really quick. Only because it unfamiliar territory.
Glacier, I will be leaning hard on you on this one!!!!

I will pull the dip stick and take a look. (DOOH)
Mark

You would have to completely drop the VB to get those solenoids out. If you are already doing this, then rebuild the valve body, replace the TCC screen (it looks like a short filter pressed into the separator plate), and check the spring in the transmission's underside for any debris that might be caught.

This is the filter spring in the underside of the case:
DSCN6344.jpg

This is the TCC filter in the separator plate:
15286DSCN5041.jpg

OK, I am getting nervous!!!! Told ya all I worry about my inabilty to work on a tranny!!!
I believe I can drop a valve body but getting inside of it is not my forte.
Glacier!!!! Help!!!!!!
What would it be worth to you or anyone of the gurus here to "rebuild a valve body maybe even put a shift kit in? I would send ya back my old valve body for exchange.
I think I could maybe replace a solinoid or two. (I think)

Mark

If you buy a shift kit, it will have a break out diagram of all of the internal parts mapped out. If you use the information on this website, and one of those diagrams, you shouldn't have a problem doing it on your own.

Back