Kevlar Lined Bands in Auto Trannies | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kevlar Lined Bands in Auto Trannies

Kolene is related to the steels. Is it better? I dunno. But I agree that Kevlar may need the higher apply forces that a modded tranny might give. Overall I am still curious. (yellow, green or blue)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No that was a tongue in cheek reference to an old Danish **** film called "I am curious, yellow."

I am soon going to build a 4R70W for my Mountaineer. I will use the Kolene steels, I have used them before in an AOD. The Kolenes are high, and supposed to add friction capability.

I think I will skip the Kevlar bands for this. I have heard that some issue still exist with regard to the drum surface prep. If the band doesn't seat/grip correctly, then more slippage is created.

Chris, how are you coming with the research on 4R70W's? I still need to learn if anything is worth getting from the later 4R75W's in 5.4 trucks. Regards,

Don I have pretty much assembled all my parts.... my issue right now is that I need the FORD tool to remove the rear case bushing. I have the FORD Rotunda pricing on it.... $85. Until I have a satisfactory case... I don't want to start...

On the subject of prep... I an now sandblasting the band friction surfaces.... then using 200 grit carbide to cross polish in an X fashion. Eliminating any glaze and making the band recreate a surface.

I am still on the fence regarding Kevlar.

I am building 2 "frantentrannies" and I plan to do all kevlar in one. (And sell the other, unless the buyer wants kevlar) As I do my research... and trust me people have little idea how many hours of research go into this kinda stuff, I more and more appreciate Brain's thread. Although he is around somewhat, I miss the chance to collaborate on this stuff. He was (is) a fantastic source of ideas.

Once I get a 4R70W case, and some time, I plan to put a full-blown upgraded 4R70W together. In fact I think the one I build will not be available anywhere else with all the parts and bells and whistles on it. As I said, I have all the parts.... in fact the internals on this one will be ALL NEW. And <hint> it will be for sale.

ps. educate me on the 4R75W ? Please?

Well that's a shame then, a bunch of new 4R70W parts were just sold on Ebay. The new case went for about $75, I missed that and a new pump as well.

Guess who bought all the brand new internals ? (The few missing I already had, NEW!) So I have a full set of brand new internal parts.)

The 4R75 is the newest version, coming in about 2004. The Marauder and the trucks got it, the VB spring rates are a little different. I have heard that other minor improvements might be inside as well. I will go through the TCC... article to be sure. Night,

Ah Chris, I thought of you, but the pump and EPC/shift solenoid were the items I was interested in. I do wonder how much can be done for the pump, or what wears out there. The 4R75 pump may be better, but I don't want to be buying too many new parts. I found a 45K mile 99 AWD 4R70W to start with.

There is a trans rebuild tool kit on Ebay also. It had many bids already, so I didn't plan to watch it. Does the rear case bushing look rough in your 4R70W, why else are you changing it? Night,

The pump was fairly priced.... but I already have a brand new pump... the solenoids were too but I have a brand new valve body, brand new solenoids and several used ecellent 4R70W valve bodies. My place is starting to look like a transmission repair facility. ON A TRANS I have not yet even built... and have the parts to build several if I had cases.

ps. Don tell me if you are bidding on something on E-bay and I will not bid you up.

I have all the rebuild tools... in fact I have 2 sets. 3 sets of seal protectors. For loan or sale.

I am replacing the rear case bushing purely on size. I have .030 clearance there. It needs to be tightened up. The surfaces look fine. New bushing is smaller already uninstalled and will tighten up on installation even further. Probably down to about .010

No that was a tongue in cheek reference to an old Danish **** film called "I am curious, yellow."

So sorry, Glacier! I had to interject something here. It isn't a Danish **** film. It is Swedish (circa 1967) and it was more of a "political statement" with some frank sexuality added (I guess the Swedes believed even back then that "sex sells"). It was followed up by "I am curious, blue" in 1968. Just a little trivia and, since I am of Swedish descent, I thought a correction was in order! ;)

Peace,
Sojourner

Correction noted, accepted and humble apologies to my friends in Sweden, being of Norweigan descent myself.

Correction noted, accepted and humble apologies to my friends in Sweden, being of Norweigan descent myself.

That's funny because I was going to say that the Swedes are more akin to the Norwegians then they are the Danes! The Danes are more closely related to the Germanic people of Europe. One of my favorite actors was born in Denmark!
*Oops! Am I bad! He was actually born in the Netherlands (Rutger Hauer)! I don't think I know of any actors who were born in Denmark now! hehehe

Back