I have owned other Fords but am thinking about a 2016 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have owned other Fords but am thinking about a 2016

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250 Lariat
Police Interceptor Unit. It has the 3.5 twin turbo and 93,000 miles. The vehicle starts right up and appears to run great. What else can I look at to make sure I am making a good decision? I have read about the 3.5 and 3.7 water pump replacement. What else could be a big unexpected expense? Are all of you happy that you bought yours? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the idle hours. If that thing sat around a lot idling, I’d probably pass. I don’t think turbos are the best at dealing with a lot of idle time.

Check the idle hours. If that thing sat around a lot idling, I’d probably pass. I don’t think turbos are the best at dealing with a lot of idle time.
I saw engine hours. Is there also a separate listing for idle hours, when the vehicle is not moving? Thanks again.

Police Interceptor Unit. It has the 3.5 twin turbo and 93,000 miles. The vehicle starts right up and appears to run great. What else can I look at to make sure I am making a good decision? I have read about the 3.5 and 3.7 water pump replacement. What else could be a big unexpected expense? Are all of you happy that you bought yours? Advice? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you go ahead with the purchase, you should probably change the PTU fluid right away since many owners don't think about doing it and I believe it isn't a regularly printed maintenance part. Check the hood lip for corrosion (bubbles). The warranty on that for a 2016 would have expired.

Peter

I saw engine hours. Is there also a separate listing for idle hours, when the vehicle is not moving? Thanks again.
When you go into engine hours then hit down, it'll show idle hours.

I have a 2018. Considering how much a civilian 2018 Explorer costs in THIS used car market? No regrets. Check brakes, wheel bearings and for misfires. I had to replace all my ignition coils and spark plugs. Even with that cost and doing all four brakes, I still came out ahead.

3.5 ecoboost in that PIU is same as SHO, Flex, Explorer Sport etc. It has the same internal water pump which is notorious for leaking into the oil pan. I would thoroughly inspect underneath to see if there are any traces of coolant around the weep hole / Alternator area.

The condition of the oil is very important too as these are turbo engines and the oil gets extremely hot and will tarnish if not changed frequently. The cam phasers will rattle on cold start if they are not getting enough oil.

The PTU is the weak link in the drivetrain as mentioned. Check around the vent nipple to see if its ever overheated / puked fluid.

I always like to remind people these are twin turbo transverse engines that are expensive to repair. Having proper tools and mechanical skills will definitely save you money.

Hook up a scan tool like ForScan if you can as that will really tell you what's going on with the engine vitals.

3.5 ecoboost in that PIU is same as SHO, Flex, Explorer Sport etc. It has the same internal water pump which is notorious for leaking into the oil pan. I would thoroughly inspect underneath to see if there are any traces of coolant around the weep hole / Alternator area.

The condition of the oil is very important too as these are turbo engines and the oil gets extremely hot and will tarnish if not changed frequently. The cam phasers will rattle on cold start if they are not getting enough oil.

The PTU is the weak link in the drivetrain as mentioned. Check around the vent nipple to see if its ever overheated / puked fluid.

I always like to remind people these are twin turbo transverse engines that are expensive to repair. Having proper tools and mechanical skills will definitely save you money.

Hook up a scan tool like ForScan if you can as that will really tell you what's going on with the engine vitals.
I looked at it again today. It has 97,000 miles. I removed the oil fill cap and it looks clean. No sludge of any type. It has 14,000 engine hours and 10,000 idle hours, which kind of scares me. It sounded very good, but it is at auction so I could only brake check the transmission. No driving allowed. On two other notes, I am also watching a Ford Taurus interceptor, all wheel drive, with 74,000 miles and only 1200 engine hours. It has the 3.7 engine and also looked clean as far as inside the oil fill hole. Obviously, it won’t be as fast.
Lastly, and I know this isn’t the right forum, but there is a 2016 Charger with the 5.7 and 98,000 miles. So….for a car to have some fun with that will be “most“ reliable, which one? Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

Most reliable would probably be the 3.7. The idle and run hours on that eco boost are considerable.

Most reliable would probably be the 3.7. The idle and run hours on that eco boost are considerable.
Agreed. 3.7 here, no regrets not getting an Eco Boost.

3.7 has 305hp i believe or more. That 5.7 hemi is probably around 360hp so just about same as the 3.5 Eco

Honestly the charger is probably easier to work on but I can't say how reliable they are. Dodge transmission are known to live a short life too

You never did mention what year PIU you are looking at.

Peter

Need help with this engine hour information display.
If there are 10,000 engine hours displayed
and there are 6,000 idle hours displayed.

Are there 16,000 hours on the engine or
are 4000 hours under power included with
the 6000 hours at idle to equal 10,000 hrs?

Back