I have several exhaust questions for my v8 05. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have several exhaust questions for my v8 05.

streightedge

Reaction score
City, State
White Plains, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Well, I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow, but I have some questions concerning it. I'll number the questions.

1. Should I go with the stock 2.25" tubing and get the magnaflow with the same size also over a 2.5" set up? Is there any performance or sound difference if I weny with 2.5"?

2. What is the correct muffler configuration do I need, center/offset, offset/center, or center/center?

3. Will the 14 inch body muffler sound louder than the 18 inch body muffler? Meaning length wise.

I'm still keeping my eye out for the borla or bassani mufflers. Is anybody running this setup?

Thanks alot fellow members.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my experiences going 1/4" or a 1/2" over stock is best. If your planning to run duals only go 2 or 2.25. Next question the configuration really doesnt matter, i always try center/center because it makes it a little easier but any configuration will be alright with little or no modding at all. 3rd If they are the same muffler except for length then no it shouldnt (SHOULDNT) but they 18 may be just a smidge quieter. hope i can help ya:salute:

i got dual flowmasters and they are 2 1/2 inch tips

I have a flowmaster 40 on mine. its a center/offset or maybe the other way around but im pretty sure its center/offset. ill have to check once I get out of the snow in scranton.

It is center/offset for our 3rd gens... i learned the hard way lol

thanks for all your input fellow members. I went over to pepboys and they have the 14 inch body magnaflow for $65, but I'm worried that it will be to loud. I think I really need atleast an 18 inch or bigger.

thanks for all your input fellow members. I went over to pepboys and they have the 14 inch body magnaflow for $65, but I'm worried that it will be to loud. I think I really need atleast an 18 inch or bigger.

magnaflows won't be loud, it'll be a nice deep mellow tone.

shadowless is right, magnaflow's are alot quieter then say a flowmaster 40 or a cherrybomb. They have a real nice mellow powerful growl to them:salute:

ask Sam for some magnaflow exhaust clips... he prob has any tome you wanna hear lol

exhaust and HID's are his thing

shadowless is right, magnaflow's are alot quieter then say a flowmaster 40 or a cherrybomb. They have a real nice mellow powerful growl to them:salute:

cherrybomb + V8 = crap

Well, I was able to get the muffler and tip from the same ebay dealer.

I got this for $76 shipped new.
11256.jpg

And I got this 4 inch outer diameter by 2.5 inch inner diameter, 5 inch long tip brand new for $35 shipped. Its also at a 15 degree angle cut.
35136.jpg

I should be getting them probablly by friday.

I also found a muffler shop that will convert my exhaust into 2.5 inch piping from the cat to the exhaust tip for $70. So, in total, I'll be paying $181.

Well, I was able to get the muffler and tip from the same ebay dealer.

I got this for $76 shipped new.
11256.jpg

And I got this 4 inch outer diameter by 2.5 inch inner diameter, 5 inch long tip brand new for $35 shipped. Its also at a 15 degree angle cut.
35136.jpg

I should be getting them probablly by friday.

I also found a muffler shop that will convert my exhaust into 2.5 inch piping from the cat to the exhaust tip for $70. So, in total, I'll be paying $181.

damn. You gotta put up a sound clip so I can decide what I want to do...sounds temping, and a very good price.

Back