I have started the 4x4 convertion for real | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have started the 4x4 convertion for real

You can run a manual T-case. There might be a problem though... I dont know how easy it is to bolt a t-case to an auto tranny and since the manual lever bolts to the tailshaft... I know of some one that is going to try this. He is going to use an elec t-case. It would not be that much harder but it will be more expensive. The shift computer and the push button will cost more compared to a ever that costs $100.00 new from the dealer.

The shift computer costs about $400.00 wireing costs $100.00 puch button costs $50.00

Get the Idea... That is why I went manual...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I see what your says. That is a pretty big difference. I guess if I could get a donor car that had the auto T-Case that I could just use that. I'll see when it happens though.

Oh, BTW I got the parts today. Thanks a bunch, they look good. I forget how you said you run the dome light. I worte it down but I can't seem to find it. Is it as easy as running a power wire, split with a switch, and a ground?

thanks,
chris

I am finished.... The install is complete... I have not driven the car yet but... Every thing looks great. I am going to get the front end alinged first thing in the morning. trans and t-case shift nice. i am going to go and buy some vent hose for the t-case and trans.

I will be doing to write up on the convertion soon.

If you have any questions post them.

Isles4evr, The shorter wire on that dome light is the power wire and the longer one is one I got extra for you to use as a ground. If you need more help E-mail me..

Great Job!!

You've completed a task that most would never dream of doing. You should be proud of yourself. I can't wait for the report!

The Big Test was today. I took my Navajo out to test to see how the 4x4 would hold up. It was amazing. It was mostly Sand and water with Tight Trails. This was not some thing you could take on it a 2wd at all... I did get stuck once but Hey it was the First Time I ever drove a 4x4 off-road. And it was my Fault. Never thought I would use the Tow hook but they came in very handy.

Oh, And BTW Brian(Shaggy) Thanks for showing me the Place I had a blast.

Hey Kris,
Now you have no excuse not to come out to Truckhaven 2001 in Jan. :D

Hey Kris, I am seriously thinking of doing this pretty soon, is that list on your web page the complete list of things I owuld have to get? I can get the front and rear axles from someone for $300, and I have been looking on http://www.car-parts.com to find a manual shift transfer case, I am gonna ask one of the junkyards if I can get the crossmember, shift lever, shifter boot, and the transmission hump plate also. A guy I have been talkin with (Chad Nixdorf a member here, the one who is gonna sell the axles for $300) said he would help me out since he is now in college right by me, so I think all that should work out. I hope once I get all the parts I can get this done in 2 weekends, the first one I could pull the tranny, and put the front end in, and the next day put the rear axle in, then during that week send the tranny in and then put the tranny, t-case, driveshafts in and get the shifter all put in and stuff. At least that is how I plan to do it. But I just need to know if the list of parts on your page is EVERYTHING I need, besides the nuts and bolts? Thanks

That is the Complete List of Every thing.

Complete Front End with gears to match your rear.
Warn Manual Locking hubs
4x4 Brake rotors
4x4 Steering linkages
4x4 springs
4x4 radius arms
front Axle Pivot mount (I will give you a picture of What needs to be done to that if you want.)
transmission hump plate
New interior shifter boot
front drive shaft
4x4 rear drive shaft
t-case skid plates
4x4 speedometer cable
Tail Shaft for 4x4 Mazda 5-speed
4x4 output shaft for Mazda 5-speed (25 spline)
Manual Shift Borg Warner 13-54
Manual Shift linkages

You Really wont Need to swap the Rear End unless it is to make the Gearing Match Front to Rear. I did not Swap my Rear I just bought a front End with 3.27 gears in it. I think you Said you had 3.08 so you might need new Gears in the rear because of that. There is a guy that is doing this to his EB but his Gears do not match so the 4x4 is usless till it is Regeared. Have a professional install the Outputshaft in the trans. Talk to the Salvage yard and see if they can get the output shaft. It costs about $360.00 new from the Dealer. All the Crossmembers are the Same. There is a but you will need Four Metal Rivits cut out of your Engine crossmember and Replaced with Bolts.

E-mail me and I can E-mail You pictures of the Everything I had to do.

[Edited by Kris Guilbeaux on 09-04-2000 at 04:43 PM]

Hey, that looked like quite a task. Looks great though, nice job. I would love to get my hands on a project like that. ENJOY!!

Here I uploaded a zip File with Pictures and my updated Write up on the Conversion.

Dead Link Removed

And Oh yes it was a bunch of fun to do. The Handleing is Soooooo much Better over the 2wd Set up.

Thanks for the pics. Are you serious about itbeing a bunch of fun and riding better? Oh about the tranny, after you get the wiring, sytarter, and the y-pipe out, is it just a matter of unbolting the crossmember, and the bolts to the engine, and then sliding it out and thats it? I make it soundeasy, but I am pretty sure that is the process right? Nothing is gonna come spilling out or fall out is there? Also, would it be a good idea to replace the clutch while the tranny is out? I am sure it owuld be cheaper than having someone do it for $700. Thanks

It would be a good idea to drain the trans because it dose have to be taken apart any way. What is the Mileage on your Clutch. If it has not been done in a While you might want to replace the Clutch and Resurface the Fly wheel. I did not it because I did it About 1 and a half years ago so I did not bother...

I did it close to a year ago, so I guess I won't mess with it. So if I drain the tranny, then what about the hydraulic line for the clutch?

OI probably won't end up being able to do it until this upcoming summer because the guy I that would be helping me doesn't have his axles out, and we may put his lift on mine while we are at it, and then I would have to get more money for bigger tires. But he is probably gonna take his lift off because he is gonna put a solid axle up front if he has enough money. He and I talked last night for a while about stuff and he has some good plans for his explorer and his friend already has a bad ass explorer according to what he has told me, it has a 60 rear, 44 front, 302 engine w/ a c6 tranny along with a np205 (i think that's what it is) t-case with around 12" of lift and 40" tires, he is wanting to get pics of it, but he doesn't have any yet. The guy I am talking with has a 6" lift and 3" body lift/33's and he says his explorer looks tiny up next to that guy's. But anyways, I can more than likely get the shafts from that guy, and maybe the skid plate. I found a place that has a t-case for 200 w/ the shifting linkages. What was the total for the parts and labor for the output shaft? Thanks

Back