• Register Today It's free!

I just bought a 1993 Aerostar.

Badblubug

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Aerostar
Well, I came across a 1993 Aerostar that’s a one owner with 28k miles.. hard to believe I know, but there it was... came from the estate of a 93 year old gent that passed, it was cheap enough and so clean and I could use the extra space for hauling stuff around so I figured why not, after reading up on these it seems most people really liked them and they are pretty reliable, curious to know what are the most common problems to watch for?
this van is a 4.0 with electronic 4x4 and an auto trans, i just took it on a 400 mile round trip and it ran flawlessly, everything works including the a/c and I can’t find anything wrong with it, and boy does it ride nice, I will change out the radio to something better
840A8571-4C31-479C-B1F9-997E2D264A18.jpeg
19BEDA98-5607-42E1-B23A-2C4B4E31B0C5.jpeg
4BCB0604-B5E9-48E5-98B4-351B0AFF120E.jpeg
3FB8F3A9-B888-4BC0-BE84-37878ADCDB92.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is nice!main thing is don't let it overheat.you might want to get the brakes bled.maybe flush the cooling system.i would add a transmission cooler.

It's very rare to find one like this. Try to hold onto it for as long as possible. I know that parts are scarce but there are ways around that. What kind of radio do you want to install? There are radio harness adapters which are plug & play. You don't have to splice the OEM wiring.

that is nice!main thing is don't let it overheat.you might want to get the brakes bled.maybe flush the cooling system.i would add a transmission cooler.
I plan on a coolant flush but didn’t think about the brakes.. since I don’t plan on towing with the van still recommend a trans cooler?

It's very rare to find one like this. Try to hold onto it for as long as possible. I know that parts are scarce but there are ways around that. What kind of radio do you want to install? There are radio harness adapters which are plug & play. You don't have to splice the OEM wiring.

I put in a Bluetooth with a usb and purchased the harness

Keep the fluids changed at the proper service interval. The transmission is the weakest link and should have a cooler.

I plan on a coolant flush but didn’t think about the brakes.. since I don’t plan on towing with the van still recommend a trans cooler?
ive had two different older fords partally lose front brakes because of moisture in the fluid boiling.

That thing is awesome! Congrats!

ive had two different older fords partally lose front brakes because of moisture in the fluid boiling.
How old were these fords? Anti lock brakes would have been useless on most older cars cause the brakes faded as soon as you used them.

Wow! Thing is beautiful! Congrats!

Nice find. That is my favorite Ford color. Brilliant blue metallic. What a nice van!

Beautiful. I had a 1996 Aerostar and loved it, although it was terrible in snow w/o 500 pounds of sand in the back.

Back