I need a 1/2 inch in the back! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need a 1/2 inch in the back!

IAmTodd, I don't have the normal butt sag problems that most Explorers have. I don't know why.

X-factor, I used the universal u-bolts that came with the blocks but they are too small and you really have to squeeze them to get them in the shock plate. While this is doable, I'd rather have u-bolts that fit around the axle tube properly in case I ever need to take them off again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had a chance to drive around yet with the 3 inch blocks, but james t tells me he couldn't tell the difference in ride quality from 2 inch blocks to 3.25 inch blocks (I'm trusting a drunk I guess :D ). I still have a little less than 2 inches of axle travel, so I'm not worried about it.

Ever think of using a mono leaf from a sport? Just a thought.

Nah that would just give me a real bad ride.

i just bought a 95 4wd sport today and im curious if all these lowered explorers are 2wd or if i can drop mine too .
if i do get it down am i limited on wheels or would i have to cut the centercaps or anything ?
tomorrow im gonna crawl around under it and look for myself but you cant beat an experienced opinion , so i appreciate any input . im also alittle concerned about tire clearance if i lower it with the stock wheels/tires for a bit.... but ill just measure that out .
ive only had the truck about 5 hours but im very happy with it . i cant get to crazy lowering it.... i still want to pull a small open trailer to get my busa to the dragstrip... maybe some sort of ride control , i dunno .

Mine is 4WD (not for long) and it's fine lowered. You just can't go more than 2-3 inches on a 4WD.

thats just too easy ! 5 minutes the front was done....
unfortunatly i had to raise it back up just a bit after i went to do the back and the stock lifting blocks wont come off the spring because the locating bolt is rusted/siezed . had to put it back together stock till i get a new set of those bolts and cut the old ones off . i was hoping they just pressed into the hole in the spring but a few whacks with a mini-sledge didnt beak it loose either.
it appears to be lifted just a bit from the factory with a mono-leaf , so im just going to relocate those stock blocks .
my front end is a total of 5 turns out so it has a nice rake to it right now .

Back