i need better mpg!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i need better mpg!!!!

a2forchrist

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer XLT
whats some ways to get better mpg with my explorer its completely stock and i can put a little money into it? any ideas?????? need help asap

I think the topic of better MPG has been discussed quite a few times but one thing we have yet to see around here (and doesnt really cost much) is a Warm Air Intake.

The idea is that you can decrease the rate at which gasoline is being consumed (injected) into the combustion chamber by decreasing the amount of oxygen entering the combustion chamber through warmer intake air (warmer air = less dense = less molecules per unit volume = less oxygen per unit volume). The oxygen sensor will counter for the less oxygen molecules by decreasing the duty cycle of the injector - which means less fuel consumed.

But anyways, if you do try this, I think you'd be the first on the forum to try it.

What IZwack said is a good idea but I'd start with the basics. Eliminate excess weight and make the truck more efficient. Start with the spare tire. Thats 30lbs off the ass end, fresh air filter and regular oil changes. Good wheel bearings, u-joints, and tranny with good fresh fluid and the throttle cable adjusted properly. Also on the tranny re-torque the bands. That helps too. I did all that and went from 13-17mpg to 16-25mpg. Good luck

synthetic fluids in ,,
oil pan, front diff, transfer case, and rear diff will help quite a bit too,
my 4.0 auto gets over 20 mpg all the time,,,

Back