• Register Today It's free!

How can i get better MPG?

Smith22295

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97" XLT and it is a gas hog! it seems like its consuming to much fuel. Im going to run the injector cleaner fluid through it today to see if it helps. im gonna get a new intake to help with MPG also. any ideas how to get better MPG without spending much money? like small mods or tricks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't use the air conditioner if you're not on the highway.

ya. i try not to use it but living in florida in the summer its kinda unbearable. but i did some research on how much gas the a/c takes up and they say its really not much at all.

My ex gets great gas mileage. I usually get from Dallas to Little Rock with under a tank of gas. But then again that's when I tow it...

22 mpg with the ac on. i get 14 mpg in the winter, but ac on or off it changes by about 2 mpg. mixed city and hiway driving. but then again i do 10 over the speed limit everywhere and tend to not beat on it :)

i must be getting like 15-16 MPG.

Seafoam

I now get 20 around town. I did Mac fresh air, Araid throttle body spacer,Flowmaster cat back,full tune up,synthetic oils and last I did the Seafoam treatment. I was averaging 14 b-4. My ploder is a 2dr 4x4 soch motor with 4:10's 255/85/16 Cooper's and a very heavy right foot.:D
The biggest noticeable mod was the seafoam that's my humble opinion.

My basically stock 00 limited V8 is putting up 18city/24hwy

All Ive done is take out the stock air box entirely and clamped a huge filter to the mass air and I run walmarts high mileage oil

Once a week i take a 275 mile trip and i always inflate the tires to about 36 psi... it helps mileage alot but i have to drop the pressure once i get back or every bump throws u around.

On my 94 4.0 I did plugs and wires and replaced the airbox with a KKM intake,it went from 15 to 16.2 around town.I haven't had a chance to take a long drive since then so highway mpg now is unknown,it used to get 19.1.

My 2000 gets 15 around town and 17 hwy at 70 with the A/C cranked,but I have never done a thing to it,I have no idea how old the plugs and wires are.It's a dead stock 5.0 AWD.:D

Check Tire Pressure
Replace the Air Filter
Replace the Fuel Filter
Do a Seafoam treatment on the motor.
Clean the Throttle Body with Carb/Throttle Body Cleaner
Change the Spark Plugs
Replace the Spark Plug Wires
Clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor, CRC makes a Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner in a spray can.
Change the oil
Change the Transmission Fluid
Change the Fluids in the Differentials
In this order.

There is a very complete tune up list that should help.
From there you are left with mods, do some searching to see what mods fit your skills, budget, preference, etc...

thanks. im gonna start doing all this.

Back