• Register Today It's free!

I need help picking a cd reciever

Green92

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt
I have a 92 XLT with the jbl subwoofer. I was looking at a pioneer, but the sales rep said I couldn't get a reciever over 35 watts because of the amplifier. He suggested Alpine. I was wondering if it was a good choice? thanks
Green92

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a "good" reciever depends on what you want to do with it. if your just going to be running it through stock speaks and amps, basically any reciever will do, however you need a digital converter so that it works with your factory amps used in the jbl system. the converter will set you back 70 bucks. so add that to the price. if your just running of the factory amps, the wattage of your reciever doesn't really matter. pioneer, clarion, alpine, even sony are all good and trustworthy names. One item that played a role in my descision was that i wanted a rotary volume knob. not just two little up/down buttons, and the sony fit my needs well. it hasn't upset me since i got it.
if you are going to want to expand (believe me, once you pop, you just cant stop) you need to look for a good amount of preamp outputs. four channels are plenty. its also good to find a head that has separate subwoofer preamp outs, in addition to the 4 others.
in summation, give your goals for the system, and we shall provid the answers.

if you order from crutchfield they'll send you a wiring harness for free that connects to your factory head units harness and a harness that bypasses the factory amps and i'am pretty sure you could buy the harnesses from them ........www.crutchfield.com

Alpine is a great choice! I have had 2 of them in my 93. The first one was stolen. Don't let crutchfield talk you into a $100 adapter that they say is needed to run an aftermarket stereo on a ford system. After buying one I have been told it is a bunch of **** and not needed.

If you are looking for a realnice piece go for Eclpise they have about the best recivers I've ever seen they use rotary nob on there head unit as well as there remote controls you can turn off the display at night 3 sets of preamp outs I bought a comp head unit which doesnt have an internal amp it has 6 volt preamp outs for real good sound I use to have last years top of the line clarion with the animations on the display but it was just too bright at night!!

I love my Alpine 7845. It has the rotary knobs, 6 preamp outs (1 set of sub, with seperate volume control), RDS, ID Logic, 4volt non-clipping outputs, CD title memory, Ai-net, etc, etc...
It sounds great. I bypassed the factory amps and used a $12 set of Metra harnesses (1 to tie into the factory wiring and 1 to bypass the amps). The decks power put out more than the factory amps did, and sounded much cleaner. Seperate amps and components are really the way to go, though!!
BTW, this is in my SHO now, but I used the same deck in the Explorer for a couple weeks while the SHO was having the body redone and sounded GREAT.

------------------
Danny
93SHO
91EB
www.hit.net/~danny/explorer.html

Back