• Register Today It's free!

I need help with my A/C.

riderx2

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95xlt
Hello everyone. I have been doing alot of reading on this forum and everybody seems very friendly and very helpful. So, I really need your help. I am trying to fix my wifes 95 explorer ac unit. A bearing went out inside the compressor so I replaced it with one from the wrecking yard. The replacement was still under pressure and had oil in it. I put it on, vacuumed down the system as per advice of a knowledgeable friend. When I try to refill it new refridgerent won't go into the low pressure valve. And the clutch on the compressor does not spin at full speed. The same friend tole me to look for an expansion valve witch we now learned from some of you that ford has an orifice tube instead. But when I unhooked the tube going into the evaporater to look for the expansion valve, we started the engine and the compressor clutch locked in and spun at full speed. So, we are thinking there is a plug in the orifice tube??? But not sure where it is located. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you BrooklynBay. Could you or someone please tell me where the orifice tube is located? Or post a picture or diagram? Thanks

This picture was in V8BoatBuilder's photo gallery:
13422o_tube.jpg

Check this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220146

U might not have been able to put the refrigerent in because of many reasons, the orifice should be replaced regardless, but it also depends on how long u evacuated the system, did u alow for it to pull down to 5oo microns does it have a drier and if so is it pluged. A reason why your compressor might not spinning at full is a bad clutch, high head pressues do to non-condensables, or a faulty Binary swith usaully located around the accumulator tank. I had to jump those out while refilling a system with refrigerent in order to get the compressor to start. Also refer to a PT chart (Pressure Temp Chart) to ensure u did not over charge the system.

Back