I need help with my keyless remote! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with my keyless remote!

crawley595

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
I bought an explorer sport trac 2004 and it only came with a key. I order a keyless remote off ebay and it came with instruction but i cant seem to get it to work with the truck. I've did the cycle eight times routine but my truck wont even lock and unlock during this process. Is there something im doing wrong. Pls help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You Sport Trac does have the keypad on the door, correct? I've heard of a few, very few, that didn't have keyless entry.

Remote Transmitter Programming
CAUTION: All remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode (via the RKE transmitter or the door lock control switch while the driver door is open).
Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module successfully enters program mode, it locks and then unlocks all doors.
Within 20 seconds, press any button on an RKE transmitter; and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.
If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Inspection and Verification. Make sure that no more than the maximum number of RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.
Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if 1 of the following occurs:
The key transitions to the OFF position.
20 seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
The maximum number of RKE transmitters are programmed.

Mine doesn't have a keypad on the door. What should i do?

I believe if that's the case, you don't have access to the remote option. You could install a remote starter and get the locks off of that. Dead simple once you have the starter wired in. So simple I have both.

I had the same problem with my 01 so i just went and installed an aftermarket alarm system so i could have the keyless entry option.

Programming Mode???

Ive been trying for days and night to get my sport trac to enter programming mode by turning my key from off to run 8 times but i get nothing. Is there a way i can reset anything, disconnect the battery, etc. I've read that this is rare but possible for few vehicles.:roll::roll:

Go HERE and enter your VIN in the "Vehicle" tab. You'll have to click the blue "There are more minor features for this vehicle, click to expand this list" link @ the bottom to see all the info on your vehicle. Look for "# With Keyless Entry System" to verify you have it.

EDIT:From your other post it appears you do not have keyless entry. You will have to install an aftermarket kit. The link above will verify if you do or do not have it.

I also am having this problem with my 2004 Explorer, I do have keyless entry and cannot get it to enter the programming mode, I do the 8 times in 10 sec but the truck does not unlock and lock to verify it's in programming mode.

I recently ordered a keyless remote from ebay as well.

After reading a couple of posts and great tips (thanks ncranchero!) I went out and tried the programming mode because my truck only came with two keys when I bought it.

I couldn't get it in program mode either, but upon further research there is a little confusion (at least for me) for the key position. If you look above in ncranchero's directions you unlock your doors and turn from OFF to RUN 8 times ending position being RUN.

What I wasn't realizing until I saw a diagram is that the "OFF" position isn't when the truck's off and you can remove your key.

1-ACC-turning the key all the way down
2-LOCK-position when you can remove your key from the tumbler
3-OFF-one click up from LOCK (this is where I messed up, I thought this position was ACC)
4-RUN-two clicks up from LOCK, normal position your key is in when truck is running
5-START-three up from LOCK, engages starter, turns over the engine

So when ncranchero says OFF to RUN 8 times ending in on, it's actually 1 click up, then toggle position 3 to 4 (above) 8 times

Sorry if that's a little confusing, there is actually a diagram in my owners manual too, check out yours if that explanation didn't click with you.

That was exactly my issue though, I was going from LOCK to RUN 8 times and nothing would happen, need to go from OFF to RUN 8 times ending on RUN and your doors locks will cycle if your ST is capable of accepting a new remote key code.

Thanks for the reply, mine is actually different, ACC is not all the way down for me, Off is. Thanks for the help.

You're posting this in the 'SPORT TRAC forum, Djanvk. Do you have a Sport Trac or a 4-door model?

IGN_Switch_Positions.gif

ExplorerIgnpositions.gif

Pay particularly close attention to "The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode using the RKE transmitter, RKE keypad (if equipped) or door lock control switch while the driver door is open."

thanks ncranchero! that pic is exactly what i was trying to say, picture is worth a thousand words :)

just got my keyless remote from ebay today! programmed it up to the directions above and everything is working great.

ncranchero: i know you're keeping track of some of the key numbers from viewing other threads. the working keyless remote i have now on my 05 ST XLT is:

3B:8L3T-15K601-AB
4B:8S4T-15K601-AB
FCC ID: CWTWB1U345
IC: 1788A-FWB1U345

Thanks ! I added that to my list. Glad you have it all working. Thanks for the helpful posts too.

Back