I need some help diagnosing what this is? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some help diagnosing what this is?

That's true. but the scanner had 13 separate items. It could just be doubled. 7 is still a lot to all trigger at once though
7 codes is alot hence why the diag should start at the fuse box and go from there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2010 Ford explorer XLT, it has 150k miles. A few weeks ago it started to jerk while driving. Like it would do it 4 or 5 times or until I let off the gas and then it would be drive normally again. Then it started to drop in rpm's in stop and go traffic (From 500ish down to 250 then back up to 500 within 2 or 3 seconds). When I start the car up it would jump up and down in rpms for about a minute then be fine and then when the car warmed up it would randomly do the same. I thought maybe a vacuum leak but both shops I took it to said there wasn't a leak. Now today I was driving to work and a check engine light came on??

So I have a p0455 code with half a tank of gas, rpms jump up and down while sitting at idle and it jerks or lunges while driving. I need help please.
I don’t like for people to throw parts at things but if you’ve checked the basics like coil packs ,plugs etc..A failing Map sensor will cause those issues your describing .O.E.M if ever needing to be replaced

It could be a lot of things but I would not go back to anyone that says you need an ECM personally.

Forscan is free. Download it to your laptop and plug into your ob2 connector drive while the laptop is in live data mode. Now you will need to bring yourself up to speed on using forscan as well as someone else driving while you are reading the pids. If all of this sounds too daunting for you. Then pay for some diagnostic time locally at a reputable shop. 6 yrs. ago I had to replace my ECM on my '09 . It can and does happen.I agree with the other guy's about look into everything that would affect the fuel trim. Including dirty, failing throttle body.

While this is an infrequent issue don't forget that a defective diode in the alternator can cause a LOT of problems now that everything is controlled by a computer. If there is any AC on the normally DC line the poor computer doesnt know if it is a sensor signal or just what and there is no telling what it will do with the "signal" it sees. My old 2000 V8 kept throwing a code for a timing issue in the distributor and when I took the alternator to the starter/alternator shop to get it looked at they told me about folks having trans problems and everything else and all it turned out to be was just a confused computer that can't deal with AC.

Mine threw about 12 codes. I noticed an air leak coming from the EGR so I switched it out. Still heard the air leak. It ended up being the part that the egr bolts to it goes into the plastic intake right after the throttle body I'm currently waiting on the part from Ford so I'll find out if that's where all the codes came from

Mine threw about 12 codes. I noticed an air leak coming from the EGR so I switched it out. Still heard the air leak. It ended up being the part that the egr bolts to it goes into the plastic intake right after the throttle body I'm currently waiting on the part from Ford so I'll find out if that's where all the codes came from
my egr o ring leaked, but it never threw codes for me. those things are a pain!! out of curiosity, which codes did it throw? were they consistent with what OP describes?

Add stalling to my list of issues now. holy heck. I'm replacing the EGR and Map sensors today - Hope the o2's clear after the EGR. Also taking it to a shop to get live testing done tomorrow if they don't clear today.

Drbenz - If I had my alternator tested what would I be looking for?

if the o2s are too out of whack i suppose it could cause a stalling issue. or a stupidly large vac leak and it cant compensate for the extra air, even when dumping fuel.

I just put the new part on and ugh 😫 it's still leaking air. I spray the carb cleaner right on where the EGR meets the tube connector and it almost stalls it out I'm 🤔 any ideas?

my egr o ring leaked, but it never threw codes for me. those things are a pain!! out of curiosity, which codes did it throw? were they consistent with what OP describes?
I didn't get to see the codes. I went to have the 3 cleared when I fixed the cats he just cleared them and said there was 12. But I also think I'm having the bad wiring issue also so could be that but I did go threw and repair what I could see

I just put the new part on and ugh 😫 it's still leaking air. I spray the carb cleaner right on where the EGR meets the tube connector and it almost stalls it out I'm 🤔 any ideas?
how bout the upper intake gaskets? crack in the intake itself?

I don’t like for people to throw parts at things but if you’ve checked the basics like coil packs ,plugs etc..A failing Map sensor will cause those issues your describing .O.E.M if ever needing to be replaced

I have a 2010 Ford explorer XLT, it has 150k miles. A few weeks ago it started to jerk while driving. Like it would do it 4 or 5 times or until I let off the gas and then it would be drive normally again. Then it started to drop in rpm's in stop and go traffic (From 500ish down to 250 then back up to 500 within 2 or 3 seconds). When I start the car up it would jump up and down in rpms for about a minute then be fine and then when the car warmed up it would randomly do the same. I thought maybe a vacuum leak but both shops I took it to said there wasn't a leak. Now today I was driving to work and a check engine light came on??

So I have a p0455 code with half a tank of gas, rpms jump up and down while sitting at idle and it jerks or lunges while driving. I need help please.
sounds similar that my 04 4l sohc was doing then it would stall whe drive about 3-4 miles warm weather. it was the fuel rail sensor
got on amazon 18 bucks local auto discounts wanted around 150 my mobile mechanic is a club member so we replaced it supposed fix was remove the manifold cover but when he unbolted the hoses and the drivers side he was able to just lift it enough to get it changed it worked so now gasket to change at 150 if you havent done fuel pump its probably due and in my 99 had to drop tank of course i had a full load of gas

Sorry for not replying for a week. So I replaced my MAP and EGR sensor last week and nothing changed so I went ahead and ordered a used ECM and had it programed/installed this Friday and so far after 100+ miles its driving perfect. I hope I didn't jinx it lol but yeah it seems to have been my ECM causing the issues. Thank you all for your advice and help it was much appreciated.

Back