• Register Today It's free!

I Need Some More Horse Power

TBONE112219

Reaction score
City, State
ANAHEIM CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLS
I Have A 2004 Xls With The 4.0 Motor And I Am Wanting To Get Some More Power Out Of It And Also Help Out The Gas Milage On It As Well I Was Wondering What I Can Do To Help All That Out Would A Cold Air Intake, Jet Chip, Headers, Exaust Help If So What Brands Should I Look For

Any Help Please And Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jet chips suck... please dont post to the site in all capitals..... you must realize its a 5000 pound truck with a v6 and it will never be a racecar.... intakle, exhuast will help out, as will a chip or flash programmer from one of our 2 site sponsors... bamachips and hypnotic illusions... do a search on this site for them

thanks i understand it will never be a racer but i would like alittle more power to kick some dust or mud what ever i can find do u think headers will make differance

headers might help a little bit if there really is nothing more you can do... but on a stock engine with jsut an intake, chip, and exhuast there isnt much more you can do to it

for the cold air intake is k&n a good one to go with

if you are talking about a full cold air intake i dotn think any are made... a k&n filter is a good idea, as is running a custom pipe... several companies offer this..

thanks for all your help and info i know very little about motor and things like that i know audio and security inside and out

thanks alot

i cant find the dyno results on a 98 ohv 4.0 for k&n. can anyone help, they only have the ranger on there with 135 horsepower with a 3 horsepower increase(whoopi!). im prolly gonna but one, but need to know if its worth the money. any thing over 8 hp and ill happy. thanks

Don't trust manfacturer HP estimates. That's a good kit. K&N is the best reusable filter you can get and that kit is an FIPK so it comes with a pipe and all, though it'll probably be over $200. An open element filter is definitely the first mod to do. I think you'll be surprised how different it feels when you drive.

i know the intake is a good mod but you also need to open up the exaust some too i have a flowmaster muffler and it is comeing out under my back door on the driver side so it is a short run on it

Yes, catback exhaust is the second mod you should make. You should see a nice difference when you get the FIPK.

do you think heaseders would help it out more and do you think it would be worth the money

as i said before unless you are running a internally modified engine, there is no need t oicrease that much flow by adding headers... if you do, you run the risk of running too much flow which can be bad for performance

Do they even have headers for an '04? Headers would be the LAST thing to get, and even then I wouldn't recommend them without engine work or forced induction. I have headers and they were a waste of money being N/A. Of course, N/A is about to change ;)

Back