i need torsion bar help!!!!!

Valas1969

learning to be expert
Reaction score
City, State
McDonald, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer xlt 02 ST
I am changing my torsion bars and i have run into a major problem. i cant get the damn thing out!!!! i got the part in the back out but i cant get the bar out of the lower a-frame. any serious suggestions would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got mine that were rusted in by using a bar in the hole that they fit in, and hitting repeatedly with a big hammer till it slid in the socket,,
just use a solid steel bar, a piece of tubing will mushroom on the end and get stuck in there as well, ,

i got mine that were rusted in by using a bar in the hole that they fit in, and hitting repeatedly with a big hammer till it slid in the socket,,
just use a solid steel bar, a piece of tubing will mushroom on the end and get stuck in there as well, ,

how big? i was hitting it with 3# brass hammer on 1/2 steel bar 8" long and didnt budge even a little bit.

I have no idea on torsions bars (yet) but if it's a rust reason, i have read comparisons of penetrate and a 50/50 atf-acetone beats everything across the board. I'm sure if it's a rust thing you already did some kind of penetrate spray but just throwing out an idea, even though small. I haven't yet tried this method but did get everything needed to mix when the next time I need it, I had a big rust issue with the bolts on my brake job so I was looking for other options than pb blaster. I also bought a metal hand (pistol) oiler w/ metal flex hose for hard to reach areas

I'm thinking of cutting the torsion bar and using the cut off section to beat it out with a BFH.

If it ain't working right hit it with a hammer and if that doesn't work get a bigger hammer. Good credo to live by.

I always say "if you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem."

I always say "if you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem."

I usually try a sawzall after the BFH before conceding that I can't fix it (aka electrical issue).

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

I usually try a sawzall after the BFH before conceding that I can't fix it (aka electrical issue).

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Sawzall fixes a lot of things but hammers aka bfh's fix slot more. Lol

Sawzall fixes a lot of things but hammers aka bfh's fix slot more. Lol

My personal philosophy: If it ain't broke fix it 'till it is.

Back