**EMERGENCY** Torsion bar help needed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

**EMERGENCY** Torsion bar help needed!

Walnut777

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey guys. I had to put a lower control arm on today b/c my lower balljoint that I just put on last month was sliding up and down with ease.
I marked the nut that lowers and raises the torsion bar.
I took everything loose from the lower control arm and then slid the lower control arm off of the torsion bar.
I put the torsion bar back in the lower control arm the same way I thought I took it out and now I cant even get my jack out from under that side of the truck!

There is another piece under the drivers seat that the torsion bar slides into and the adjuster screw raises up and down, well it is loose, what can I do? Or what did I do wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your a hex off. you have to losten the adjuster and then put it on and readjust the adjuster

Look at the front of the torsion bar, there are letters on it and a L/R marking. Those letters should be upright when the LCA is installed. Place the bar in the control arm so that those letters are legible with the arm level. Any other clocking of the bar will not install properly.

The LCA should be installed with it at a downward angle to the ground of say 45 degrees. In that position the rear of the torsion bar will be near to where it sets in the rear mount. Leave the adjuster bolt out or almost out of its cross bar. Place the bar in there properly, with the LCA angled down, then raise the LCA up into place. Using the floor jack under the LCA works well to get the UCA into the spindle. Good luck,

Attachments

• Torsionbars,LCA.JPG
    Torsionbars,LCA.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 3,030

Thanks! Got it finished this morning. I had to take my son to his baseball game yesterday evening and it was too dark when I got home.

Thanks again!!

Look at the front of the torsion bar, there are letters on it and a L/R marking. Those letters should be upright when the LCA is installed. Place the bar in the control arm so that those letters are legible with the arm level. Any other clocking of the bar will not install properly.

The LCA should be installed with it at a downward angle to the ground of say 45 degrees. In that position the rear of the torsion bar will be near to where it sets in the rear mount. Leave the adjuster bolt out or almost out of its cross bar. Place the bar in there properly, with the LCA angled down, then raise the LCA up into place. Using the floor jack under the LCA works well to get the UCA into the spindle. Good luck,

good write up. thanks.

Back