• Register Today It's free!

i think i blew a hub

xplore-this

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
i think i bllew one of my auto hubs in my first gen. i was driving in town and i had used my 4 wheel drive so the hubs were locked and while i was driving i heard a pop and then a grinding noise like an extrememly bad wheel bearing grind. when i stopped and drove backwards the length of the truck like your supposed to do to unlock the hubs it stopped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it's time for a new set of manual hubs. Manual hubs are much stronger and a lot more inexpensive than new auto hubs.

that's what i was afraid of i guess that's on my list next. i was eventually going to get them just didn't think it would be this soon.

i just put on new rotors and brake pads last night. I noticed the autolocking hub had a broken part in it. The round spring that keeps tension on the one part held it on though. If the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. I am going with warn manual hubs. Where is the cheapest place to get them?

i'm not sure where the cheapest is but 4 wheel parts had the hubs and conversion kit for around $200 shipped, so i figured it wasn't all that bad.

Manual hubs are much much cheaper than autos... You might be able to find some Mile Marker hubs for cheaper, but I don't remember where to get them

I blew my hubs on Xmas. cheapest place I could find was accessconnect.com $184 for hubs, conversion kit and shipping. I ordered 12/27, still waiting 12/6 although company shut down three days for xmas and new years week (each). They warned me it would take till this week. Still, all local shops wanted 275+.

only problem now is 4x4 keeps jumping in and out, which is killing my gas mileage..

Back