• Register Today It's free!

I think t-cases hate me...

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
There is something about me and transfer cases. I think I busted the t-case in my new truck. When the truck is under load in either 4hi or 4lo itll start popping. The weird thing is in my old truck when it happened (I kinda filled it up with alot of water) it would slip and the truck wouldnt move. In my new truck ill still go but it makes that noise. I can feel it coming from underneath the truck. Im wondering if its possible the TOD clutch in my truck is slipping or maybe the front axle is slipping? Anyway Ive got a BW1354e but it doesnt have a shift motor. Will the shift motor in my truck now bolt up to it and shift it properly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may work, but all the electrics have to be hooked up to it such as the 4x4 computer from an early model. The GEM computer you have now will not work. It seems that some 97 model explorers have problems with a "ratcheting" noise coming from their transfercase that eventually leads to complete failure.

complete failure? you make it sounds so happy. :) What fails exactly? Would a rebuild solve the problem? If not i guess i had better start looking for a manual bw-1354. I think that would work fine.

Yes, repeat after me. Manual, manual, manual.........:D

Ford actually recommends that these TC's not be rebuilt. Not sure how much faith you can put in that though :rolleyes:

But regardless, it will not be worth it to rebuild it.

Are you sure it's not just a worn out u-joint?

Hrm I didnt think about the U-joint they are pretty bad in the front. When im driving there is A LOT of slap from the front driveshaft (I think). Ill have to check that out soon.

The popping noise......I have that, and I have a 95 X.....My problem is the T-Case drive chain is loose...So that could possibly be your problem.....

I dunno wtf the problem is. I got my truck into 2wd today. I installed a relay and switch to cut power to the TOD clutch and i couldnt get it to do it. I think there either isnt enough torque from the rear end to cause it to pop or there is something in the front end that is doing it.

Originally posted by Namitey
I dunno wtf the problem is. I got my truck into 2wd today. I installed a relay and switch to cut power to the TOD clutch and i couldnt get it to do it. I think there either isnt enough torque from the rear end to cause it to pop or there is something in the front end that is doing it.

Is this on the '96? Are you saying u r trying to get into 4x4 but it won't? If that is the case, check the vacuum disconnect on the front axle. It may not be connected...

My truck has auto 4wd. i installed a relay so i could have 2wd.

Back