Swaping t-cases - electric to manual shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swaping t-cases - electric to manual shift

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
For some odd reason I don't completelly trust the electric shift motor on my t-case so I have decided to replace it with the manual shift unit. It should work perfectly with my 5 speed manual. Bought BW 1354 t-case... but with no shifter or linkage. No problem. After a brief search on Used Car Parts Search I was able to locate one in the area. Total cost: $100.00 for the t-case and $25.00 for used linkage. And now my saga begins. First off, I have ripped dirty and stinky carpeting out of my truck. Now I need access to the floor shifter. Mounting plate had to be cut since I could not get the screws out (due to rust). That part has to be replaced anyway as I need a new shifter mounting plate. Over the weekend I have to remove the existing t-case and see what if anything else I might need for this job. My truck has a 2" body lift installed... I anticipate problems with shifter operation and/or boot installation. For now it all looks like this:
DSC00724.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to get the shifter extended at a fab shop somewhere if it is an issue with your body lift.

I will see what needs to be done when I get to the probelem. So far I don't see anything wrong with it... the whole thing might not be long enough to install shift boot and seal correctly but you never know... I'm kind of glad that the lift is only 2" raher than 3"... I was thinking from the beginning about cutting it down to 1.5" anyway.... as I had it in one of my previous trucks although I didn't have to deal with gear shift lever and a t-case shifter at the time...

dejello said:
You should be able to get the shifter extended at a fab shop somewhere if it is an issue with your body lift.

I had my shifter handle lengthened for my 3" BL , The shop cut off the old handle part, drilled out the inside of some round steel stock, then slid the old shifter bottom into the new handle and welded it. I also had him thread the top so i could put a T-Shifter from Auto Zone on it. You might als have to modify the hole that the shifter comes through to accomodate the longer throw.

Whole thing is pretty easy to swap out, don't know if it will cause a problem with ur 4wd lights or not, mine don't work anymore cuz they aren't hooked up, but I know that its in 4wd when i shift the.

T-case I've got has a switch that would work with the lights... I need to make a call back to the bone yard where I bought my linkage so I may still get the wiring that will work with the lights out of the donor... as for everything else - I'll see once I install the t-case... see if I have to extend the shifter, make the opening bigger... will see.

:)

Back