I wanna buy a DVD Head unit. Question! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I wanna buy a DVD Head unit. Question!

jpoprock

Reaction score
City, State
Kokomo, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
I'm wanting to put a DVD player head unit in my 02 Explorer. My Explorer has the factory head unit with 4 speakers and a sub. All factory. If I buy a new head unit, will the new head unit power my sub too? I'm not looking to change the way my car stereo sounds per se. It's good enuff for me as is.I just want to be able for my kids to watch DVD's from the front console, or my passenger, for long trips. That's it. OR, I will also listen to concert DVD's that I have while driving.

What feature do I look for when buying a new head unit, that will allow it to send sound to the sub? I don't want to have to buy a new sub and a seperate power amp unless I have to. I know that doing so will be an improvement in sound, but I don't care about that just yet. My main goal is to put a DVD unit in that has Sirius (since I'm a subscriber) and an iPod input.

I will deal with new speakers (maybe) later.

Thanks!
Jason

If you are going to install yourself then you want to make sure that the head unit you buy has the pre outs in it. There are several brands out that are sattelite ready and are ipod friendly. They will have a cable that you will plug your ipod into through its charging port. Your best bet would be to go to a sound shop and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Here is the Kenwood part number for the one my buddy just got, but he had them install it... KVT-617DVD good luck!

Back