I wanna make my 91 Ex Eddie B a prerunner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I wanna make my 91 Ex Eddie B a prerunner

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
Has anyone embarked on this mission? Can anything that is done with a Ranger be done with an Ex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do some searching on here and dezert rangers.

For what purpose? Is it something you really want to get into or just for looks?

Of course it can be done. 1st gen Explorers make great prerunners. Do you have any specific questions?

scottspics336.jpg

A few questions, what's the best height for prerunning and tire size? Does the V6 accomplish the job? Also would relocating the radiator make sense? I'm thinking of going fuel cell as opposed to stock full tank. I want a fully functional prerunner. I'm gonna to calculate the budget and either transform the Ex or get a Ranger that's built already

A few questions, what's the best height for prerunning and tire size? Does the V6 accomplish the job? Also would relocating the radiator make sense? I'm thinking of going fuel cell as opposed to stock full tank. I want a fully functional prerunner. I'm gonna to calculate the budget and either transform the Ex or get a Ranger that's built already

Long Travel kits are not sold based on a lift size, keep it low. I would suggest cut and turned beams, heim radius arms, and 4" coils, or even better, coilovers

I would not go larger than 35's with the Dana 35's, bigger the better though!

Don't move the radiator, you will not gain anything from doing so.

Unless you plan on linking the truck, the stock fuel tank is fine. If you need the clearance, I'd recommend a Bronco fuel tank over a fuel cell. Fuel cells are tough to keep smog legal, and the fuel delivery (pump/filters) are not as reliable as stock.

Long Travel kits are not sold based on a lift size, keep it low. I would suggest cut and turned beams, heim radius arms, and 4" coils, or even better, coilovers

Unless you plan on linking the truck, the stock fuel tank is fine. If you need the clearance, I'd recommend a Bronco fuel tank over a fuel cell. Fuel cells are tough to keep smog legal, and the fuel delivery (pump/filters) are not as reliable as stock.
Thanks for the advice. I will be taking the Ex to my fabricator to discuss the budget

Bigger isn't exactly better, it's more unsprung weight, puts more strain on parts (requiring stronger/heavier parts), it ups the "final gear ratio" and is more expensive. But when you hit a big rock or hole or whatever... then yeah it's better :D

1st gen explorer prerunner

sorry guys to but in on this thread but i also have some questions. i have 1994 explorer 2wd tib set up. when you say cut and turn beams what do you meen? and i believed you called the hiemed radius arms? as in the joint style?, if so how long would you recommend? and what would you do for the rear to get more travel or how would you set up the rear? i also would like to run coils. i have a good friend who welds so we can do pumpers and cages but he said he cant cut and weld extensions to the beams since they are cast, what all did you guys do. im on a tight budget as most guys but i willing to spend where i need to in order to have a safe and reliable suspension set up. thanks for any help and time givin to this post.:thumbsup:

Cut & turned beams is only something that is done to 4 wheel drive TTB trucks. Heim radius arms are describing the type of pivot, which is similar to a bearing, rather than a rubber bushing. Unless you have fabrication skills you will be stuck at the length the manufacturer makes them. In my opinion the ideal length is where your able to put the pivot brackets at a point to where you're able to put a crossmember between them that also acts as a tranny mount. The quick and easy set up for the rear is Deaver springs. Your friend is correct about not wanting to extend cast beams. 87 and older trucks had forged beams though! Extend those.

okay knowing that do you know of any cheap options for me to get extended beams? or do you think a fab shop can extend them? ive looked on line and i can only find extend beams for rangers and from what ive rear rangers dont have equal length beams. or do i buy those that are forged and me and my buddy extend them to equal lenght, im looking for a plus 4.5 in on the beams. are you aware of the f150 mod that could work or is that a train wreak of a build cuz i do not want my camber to be extream where is basically the inner side wall gripping the grown. i saw a ranger that did the f150 and the camber was stupid on it. thanks for your in put.:)

The cheapest way is to do it yourself, or find a used kit for sale. Rangers and Explorers have the same un equal length beams. There are guys out there that are running dana 44 beam ends on custom beams, but if youre on a budget, it's definitely not the way to go.

Back