i want new rims but am stuck on what to get... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want new rims but am stuck on what to get...

finally got my new rims (22x9.2's on 265/35's)

well i want 20's but then everyone talking about 22's makes me sorta want them...

heres where im at....

im looking toward Sport Metal Krynos... but the thing is i dont want a lot of tire... i want it to be close to low profile tire, but not really there... for now.

and i was searching for 22's on http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/ and it says that 305/45's would be a good fit... which i doubt... i was told by my friend to get 285/25's if i go with 22's. plus if i get 22's i know id need to upgrade my brakes, and with 20's i wouldnt have to worry as much

but these are the rims im looking at and they are on an actual explorer (and they are 20's)...
698275_8_full.jpg

my guess is thats probably how much tire i would end up with... so i guess 22's will be in my future... well see after i get them though, ill go out and measure the tire to see if thats about right

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanx for all the help. When i look at the 18's it just doesnt seem like a big enough jump for me to spend a thousand on....alot of trucks these days are comming stock with 17"s.
Because of that and the looks its pushing me towards 20's. I really dont think i wanna go over 20" though.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

me? i would but then i sorta dont want to pay shipping to send them out... but then im not the one paying shipping, it would be you... well if i could some how figure out shipping per rim ill let you know, this probably wont be for about another few weeks or so though

you do know that they are 15's or 16's (i dont remember which) american racing rims right?

if they are the ones in the pic then yeah

you can always just go to your local post office/UPS/FED EX store and they will tell you by weighing it and giving them a zip code. by the way it is 35903 (just in case) but throw out some figures and i'll get back with ya

ok need to learn how to read. those arent them in the pic. would it be possible for you to either send or post one???

well tomorrow im going to see if they will let me "try on" a rim and tire.... just to see if i rub (im looking at a 22x10 rim with either 265/35 or 285/35)... hopefully they will let me do that (because if i dont rub i would most likely get those rims and tires)

well i went in to a shop and had them order them... they were supposed to be in on monday... bad thing... the bolt pattern isnt the correct one... the guys recomendation (if i still wanted them) was to get the holes welded closed, and have the correct bolt pattern redrilled... (good news, one of a kind rims, bad news... hella hard to sell if i ever decide to get rid of them) so i gave him the go on getting them machined.. but now instead of getting them monday imma be getting them friday, which is good, it gives me another week to get the camber kit and find out if ill rub with the front end lowered

Saleen_SR71 said:
the guys recomendation (if i still wanted them) was to get the holes welded closed, and have the correct bolt pattern redrilled...
You mentioned this 2 weeks ago. BAD IDEA, DUDE! You are just asking for problems. I mean, doesn't that sound dangerous to you? Isn't there enough styles in that store there that you could choose from without doing all this re-drilling?

uuuh no... it took months of searching for what i wanted... and it was narrowed down to those. plus if anything goes wrong with the rim (like it breaking or something) i would just go after California Wheels because they recomended it and they had it done.

who knows, it may just be a scam to get more money out of me, thats why im going to examine the rim and find out if there was an alterartion

X~FACTOR said:
You mentioned this 2 weeks ago. BAD IDEA, DUDE! You are just asking for problems. I mean, doesn't that sound dangerous to you? Isn't there enough styles in that store there that you could choose from without doing all this re-drilling?

well X~FACTOR looks like im not getting hte rims...

reasoning being that they cant machine a rim with an exposed bolt pattern (which the guy found out that it was exposed today, thus calling me to tell me they cant be fitted)

so i told the guy to get the bsa's

they are on now!

full body shot
DSCF1860.jpg

an up close of the rim
DSCF1861.jpg

i say the set the car off quite nicely :)

I say take em back and get a lift, gears, and at least 33s. Explorers just aint bling-blingers or ricers :D J/K

Looks nice if thats what you like :thumbsup: :D

I'm glad you like 'em and finally got 'em. Rims look great! :thumbsup:

so are those 22"s, nice looking! Whats the offset on them, 22x10 right? Do they come out to the flare at all, or are they more stockish in terms of wheelwell depth?

22x9.5, and i still got plenty of well in the back, about 3" or so (because of the flare) and as for the front i got about half an inch to spare.

i wish i could change the title of this thread...but i cant, id probably get more responses

Nice wheels! How 'bout a little altitude adjustment...

pchop.jpg

working on it... but lots of ideas/plans in my head... dont know when its going to come... but for sure some time this year.(or so i would hope if nothing happens)

Back