• Register Today It's free!

Idle/Hesitation Problems

XltExplorer33

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer
I drive a 95 ford explorer 4wd 4.0. I cleaned the engine because it was so dirty and wanted it cleaned. So I used degreaser and sprayed water (not a pressure washer just a normal water hose from a house) on it to clean in off. Ever since then I have been having idle problems and hesiiation problems. Once I start it it revs over 1000 rpms ( which is normal) then it goes directly to 500 rpms. When I am at a stop light I have to be easy on the gas or it will stall. When I am driving at low speeds like 1-10 mph or so and I floor it it hesitates. But I can drive 65 mph and floor and have no problems. Once it is warm it idles were it should be around 850 to 900 rpm and the hesitation stops. I've cleaned IAC, MAF, checked for vaccum leaks, looked for shorts, checked my wires. it also throws a code 214 cylinder identification sensor. I changed the crankshaft sensor and still cant figure it out... Does anyone have any suggestions? I really dont want to take it to ford and spend 100 bucks so this is my last option...

Trouble Code (DTC) 214 indicates an error has been detected in the Cylinder Identification (CID) input signal. The error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittent condition.

Possible causes:
Open or shorted harness.
Damaged Camshaft Position (CMP) /Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM) .
Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM) .

okay but even when I turn on the a/c the or do anything that stresses the motor it sometime stalls and I already replaced the crankshaft sensor.

Back