• Register Today It's free!

idle issue/egr valve?

91explorer1009

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I have been chasing down an idle issue for a long time now. I have done countless searches, and spent too much on new sensors and such. I have a 91 ex, does it have an egr valve, and if so can someone please post a picture of the first gen's engine bay with the egr valve highlighted or something. Thanks, and I appreciate your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from my recent threads with idle issues i had egr problems out the wazoo but got them corrected ( bad dpfe module) .issue's like this can from many areas(dirty maf ,iac,vac leaks).u said you replaced many sensors ( which ones?) ( being a 91 i bet the plastic vac lines are good and brittle ) .

explain......

I'm pretty sure only the 93/94s had EGR valves. I've replaced mine ('94) before because it kept throwing my CEL, but it didn't seem to be affecting my engine at all What kind of idle issues are you having? I just had one with my idling high (my thread's still on the main page) and it turned out to just be a dirty IAC, which was a 10 min fix. Good luck..

'91 doesn't have an EGR system.

What is the specific idle issue? Among the first things I would probably do would be to check for vacuum leaks, check fuel pressure, and pull codes. IAC valve gets dirty, so I might also clean that out.

when in park and neutral, idle usually goes up to about 1500 rpms, once in a while almost 2000, one every now and then is perfect at around 6-700. Have cleaned Maf multiple times and throttle body, replaced the IAC, TPS, ACTS, Plugs and wires are good, new motorcraft. Cant find any vacuum leak, everything is pretty tight, replaced the PCV valve, and of course always resetting the battery for the comp.

Next I was reading some threads about IACs being bad, so I was thinking of putting on a used one, and also swapping the MAF with another. Other than the idle, the truck runs great, shifts smooth no missing or smoke or anything like that, just been chasing this Idle prob for over a year now.

how about the ect sensor ? if bad i could tell the computer that the engine is cold all the time and telling the iac to let more air in .

ect? I did replace the engine coolant temp. sensor, and sender...i forgot to mention that and the thermostat is new...?

I'm on a similar road, my surge problem is less severe, but still there.
Haven't done the MAF either. Pretty much everything else though. '94 Sport. FWIW, I did already replace the intake air temp sensor. I'm looking at the one in the air filter housing now, just for yucks...I think it also feeds the DPFE given the vacuum lines?

ok just did not know if you said you replace the engine coolant temperature sensor or not .

smtcapecod: kinda was in the same boat as you with idle issues ...mine was a bad dpfe module ...it was telling the egr solinoid to not operate correctly thus i was getting surges while still and going down the road at any speed.
the best one to get is from ford ( also comes witha new connector you have to splice in ) but i got mine at autozone for $60 ( 2 year warranty) .looks like the orig' one i pulled from the truck that came from the factory .the one i replaced a month ago i did get at auto zone a year ago but does not look like the new i have now click this link ---> .http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234040

i was looking through my maintenence records, and Im pretty sure this all started after I seafoamed her, damn worst mistake I ever made...killed my plugs right away, had to replace them immediately. I should of left well enough alone...oh well......

would a fouled O2 sensor cause an intermittent high idle? How about a pinhole in the exhaust pipe??? Besides the MAF that is the only other thing I can think of.......

was thinking o2 sensor is my problem to

Back